News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Fraudulent accounts go dark before an attack
According to a new DataVisor report nearly half of fraudulent accounts will sleep or go dark before launching an attack against a business. Researchers found that these so called 'sleeper cells' will work against a company for weeks before an attack.
What's more, these fraudulent user circles will hide among regular users to test a businesses security and infrastructure. Then, when it comes time for the main attack, these sleeper cells will go to sleep - they won't visit, research, or buy anything from the business.
One other interesting finding - most fraudulent accounts are created via a desktop (82%). Fewer than 20% are created using mobile devices.
"The Fraud Economy is flush with billions of dollars in resources. It's no longer just one malicious user causing trouble, but rather massively funded armies numbering in the hundreds who are providing a big payout for these bad actors," said Yinglian Xie, CEO and co-founder, DataVisor. "The fraudsters are becoming adept at looking like normal users and it's clear from our research that they are increasingly sophisticated and using the latest technologies available to skirt detection. The DataVisor Online Fraud Report will hopefully serve to help inform and empower the fraud fighting community in our war against a common enemy, one sleeper cell at a time."
Other interesting findings include:
• Fraudulent accounts are 8 times more likely to use Android devices than iOS devices
• 53% of fraudulent accounts use email services like Google and Yahoo
• Fraudulent accounts targeting social are 17 times larger than those targeting financial services
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...