News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Read, reply rates up
Email engagement looks good. That's a key takeaway from Return Path's Hidden Metrics of Email Deliverability report, out today. Researchers looked at how consumers interacted with emails - from opening and reading to marking as spam - and found that overall read rates were up, as were forward and reply rates.
Spam numbers were also up, but only by 1%; the overall spam rate for 2016 was 13%.
The key, posits Return Path, is in the reading - for example, the overall read rate was up 8% (2015 vs. 2016), with the highest rates coming in over 50%. The highest read rate was for Distribution/Manufacturing (58%).
In 2015, the best read rate stood at 47% (Utilities sector). The Utilities sector for 2016 stood at a 57% read rate, a 10% increase YoY.
"More than ever before, subscriber engagement is critical to getting your email delivered to the inbox. Major mailbox providers like Microsoft, Google, and Yahoo are constantly looking for ways to improve their customer experience, and they are increasingly reliant on engagement signals to filter out unwanted messages," said Return Path President George Bilbrey. "Optimizing consumer engagement can certainly improve deliverability, but these metrics also provide valuable data about the effectiveness of your email campaigns."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 13% of emails were 'deleted without reading', up 4% YoY
• Legitimate emails that landed in the spam folder ranged from 6% (Banking/Finance) to 24% (Automotive)
• 1% of emails which landed in the spam folder were subsequently marked 'not spam'
Return Path studied more than 5 billion emails to come to their conclusions.
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...