News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Rise of the backseat gamers to drive eSports, Let's Play revenues
New figures released by Juniper Research put revenues from eSport and 'Let's Play' $3.5 billion come 2017, with advertisers reaping the rewards.
The rapid rise in consumption of eSports and 'Let's Play' (commentary on streams of gameplay) will see revenues rise from $1.8 billion this year to $3.5 billion by 2021. While the subscription model, such as Twitch, is set to contribute significantly, Juniper reveals that 90% of eSports and Let's Play viewers will watch ad-supported streams in 2021.
According to Juniper, the popularity of both eSports and Let's Play be be put down to two major factors. One, gamers are looking for a new title to play or to improve their gameplay in an existing game, and two, the growing popularity of broadcasters, such as PewDiePie, using both eSports and Let's Play footage in their videos.
The report, 'eSports and Let's Plays - The Rise of the Backseat Gamer' also reveals that content has begun to be monetized by means other than advertising. Sales of merchandise, time-limited content (such as in-game items) and access passes will all contribute to drive the industry forward.
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...