News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: A nation of shopkeepers harbor designs to sell online
Nearly half of adults in the UK have earned extra income from online retailing, according to a new study by online shop software firm, ePages.
In their survey of more than 1,000 adults in the UK, ePages discovered that etailing of goods, or monetizing skills or a hobby, is popular. Forty-four percent of adults said they had earned additional income from such activities, and 30% expect to continue to do this regularly.
Often referred to as "a nation of shopkeepers", Brits have a high level of awareness of internet tools that enable online selling, more so among younger age groups (25-34) of which more than half (54%) sell online.
According to ePages, 17% see selling online regularly as a way to boost retirement income while 1 in 5 men and women see it as a route to achieve life goals and a better work/life balance. One in 4 British adults say that, while shopping online, they had considered that they might set up a similar business with half considering a solely online store and 27% considering an online and physical store. Just 10% would consider running just a physical store.
"The survey suggests a high participation level - today a large proportion of Britons are both keen and confident to become online merchants whenever the need arises," says ePages CEO Wilfried Beeck. "Affordable cloud-driven software, popular online marketplaces and easy payment methods have done a remarkable job of democratizing retail - enabling any level of computer user to advertise, communicate and transact online."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...