News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
London: Digital billboard ads target wealthy drivers based on vehicle registration
Drivers stuck in traffic at a set of traffic lights in London are being served digital billboard ads from the Bermuda Tourism Authority based on the type of car they drive.
Vehicle recognition technology is being used in four digital billboard locations in Britain and one is in the well-heeled area of London called Holland Park. At a busy traffic light junction, the Bermuda Tourism Authority is showing ads targeted at drivers of vehicles that are less than four years old and valued at more than £40,000 (US$48,600).
The ads, specifically targeted to wealthy drivers based on the type of car they are driving, are personalized with messages such as "Hello Bermudaful in the Range Rover". The ad targeting technology uses cameras trained on stationary traffic at the Holland Park traffic lights. The cameras detect vehicle registration number plates and uses an anonymized vehicle specification database to identify the make, model and color of the vehicle sitting at the traffic lights.
The ads are believed to be the travel industry's first campaign using vehicle recognition technology, and the Bermuda Tourism Authority worked with Media Agency Group to create the campaign.
According to John Kehoe, managing director of MAG, the campaign demonstrates the "truly versatile nature of digital out of home advertising and the incredible potential that new technologies and innovations carry for the industry as a whole".
"Bermuda required a campaign that delivered minimum wastage and maximum relevance - by tapping into vehicle recognition tech we've been able to target an ideal audience and ensure that they are served with personalized, effective advertising messages," he added.
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...