News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Convenience, efficiency drivers of UK Christmas mobile shopping
Starting with Black Friday, the 2016 festive season in the UK was distinctly mobile, according to new research released by Salmon .
Black Friday 2016 was the first in which mobile orders overtook desktop in the UK, according to global ecommerce consultants, Salmon. Since Black Friday, mobile led the way online retail traffic, too, with 53% coming through mobile alone and 68% through mobile and tablets combined.
"Overall, there has been a 26% rise in average mobile traffic since 2015," says Salmon in a recent announcement. "This mirrors the tipping point of mobile as seen during this year's Black Friday period where 68% of traffic and 51.2% of orders were made on mobile and tablets - the first year where mobile overtook desktop in orders. Last year, the Christmas period saw a 12% growth on 2014 in online orders overall."
More than half (53%) of consumers consulted for Salmon's research said that improvements in technology have made online shopping "easier and more convenient" and 16% of the UK population (over 8million people) shop online every day. Nearly half (49%) said the shopping process has been sped up thanks to online, mobile and click & collect services and 41% say they can now shop at stores they are not able to visit in person.
"What's clear for UK shoppers, though, is that they crave convenience and efficiency above all else," says Neil Stewart, CEO of Salmon. "For Christmas, shopping online and through mobile especially is a time-saver and means that families can spend more time with each other instead of navigating the busy high street. Retailers must ensure they have strong back-end systems and a fluid supply chain in the run-up to the festive period to cope with the demanding holiday period."
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...