News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Retailers least trusted with personal data
People in the UK are addicted to digital but, says a new report from management consultancy firm Oliver Wyman, concerns about privacy of personal information are also rife.
The report, 'Britain's Digital DNA', found that more than half of adults in the UK can not live without the Internet for more than a day, and 12% can not live without it for more than an hour. Millennials were found to be more overwhelmed with technology and about 31% actively seek opportunities to go offline compared with 20% of the people in the age group 35-54 and 14% of the people in the age group 55-74.
The UK recently passed the Investigatory Power Act which gives the government more digital surveillance law. Also known as the 'Snoopers' Charter', the new law could well increase online privacy fears among an already anxious population. However, despite 45% of respondents in the report saying they are reluctant to share personal information online, 32% felt obliged to do so in order to navigate modern life.
Unfortunately for retailers, the survey found they were among the least trusted online companies with 37% stating they do not trust technology companies such as ecommerce sites and search engines. The companies consumers trust the most with their personal information are financial institutions (just 11% distrust them), healthcare providers or insurers (13%), and car or home insurers (17%).
"For consumers to embrace our digital future without fear and anxiety, companies across all sectors need to prioritize cyber-security," says Chris McMillan, Partner, Oliver Wyman Labs. "They also need to act fast when there are breaches. Financial institutions are the most trusted in our survey because they put a lot of investment into educating consumers about the security measures they take to protect them, assuaging the worry many of us feel when handing over our personal information."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...