News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report forecasts Airbnb threat to hotels greater than anticipated
An updated report from Morgan Stanley suggests Airbnb could be "a bigger threat to hotels" than had been earlier anticipated.
Growth in the number of people using Airbnb, coupled with the number who use the service instead of hotels, is higher than previously expected, according to a recent Morgan Stanley Alphawise survey included in the report. Driving increased usage is higher awareness among travelers (75%) and high user satisfaction rates (93%).
The report also suggests Airbnb could slow down growth in hotel revenues by almost double that previously forecast. The revised analysis suggests growth in hotel revenues will slow by 80% more than previously predicted and a 9% rise in the number of people that would have otherwise stayed in a hotel if it weren't for Airbnb.
Furthermore, the survey (conducted among over 4,000 Airbnb users in the US, UK, France and Germany) showed that "penetration" (the percentage of leisure/business travellers that have used Airbnb at least once) is at 19%/18%, up from 12%/12% last year.
However, while an Airbnb spokesperson was reported to claim that "We've long believed that for for us to win, no one has to lose", Morgan Stanley's analysis shows that the company is impacting hotels. Not only has there been a fall in the number of "compression nights" (when hotels can charge a premium due to being near capacity) but also the number of nights hotels in the top 25 US marketers are near capacity has fallen for the first time since 2009.
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...