News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Young employees want social media integrated into the workplace
Workers who are Generation Z or Millennials want more social media integration in their workplaces, according to new research released by HR executive network and research firm Future Workplace.
The new research found that Millennials and Generation Z, the youngest members of today's workforce, have technologies that they want their employees to incorporate into the workplace. Top of their wish list is social media, cited by 41% of the 4,066 respondents from the two generations surveyed from the US, UK, Germany, Mexico, Poland, Argentina, India, China, Canada and South Africa.
After social media, wearables (27%) and virtual reality (26%) were two technologies the younger generations wanted to see integrated.
However, 46% of both generations agreed that social media is also their biggest workplace distraction, followed by text messaging (39%) and email (31%).
Perhaps the biggest take-out from Future Workplace's survey is that, perhaps contrary to common belief, Millennials and Generation Z, while reliant on technology, prefer to communicate with their co-workers and managers in person, rather than via email or phone.
"Despite the introduction and proliferation of new technologies at work, Millennials and Gen Z value the in-person communication that comes with a traditional corporate office much like older generations do," said Dan Schawbel, Research Director at Future Workplace. "At the same time, they also seek flexible hours and telecommuting that two-thirds of companies still fail to offer. Companies that want to successfully recruit, retain and grow their young talent must look to corporate culture as their competitive advantage moving forward."
Additional findings from the research include:
- 41% of Generation Z said corporate offices are their preferred workplace;
- 49% of both generations said they intend to work in their current industry for their entire career, compared to 31% who said they won't;
- 71% of Millennials and Generation Z have only worked in one country so far in their careers, yet 56% aspire to work in more than one country in the future;
- Work flexibility is a more desirable benefit than healthcare.
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...