News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cost of shipping drives in-store pick-up
Consumers are demanding more ways in which to get their hands on purchases made online, and retailers who offer a variety are less likely to risk consumers abandoning purchases.
According to a new study from Bizrate Insights, a division of Connexity, almost a third (31%) of those who made purchases online have opted to pick up their purchases in a store.
The most common reason given by shoppers for using in-store pick up, or click-and-collect as it is also known, is to avoid shipping charges (55%) while 43% cite convenience as the main driver. Thirty six percent use the option because they "need the order quickly" and 29% use in-store pick up to ensure the items they want are available when they arrive in a store.
"Retailers can support this desire to confirm item availability by enabling shoppers to check online if products are in stock, or reserve them in advance, " said Hayley Silver, VP of Bizrate Insights. "At a time when free shipping is highly desirable, retailers can offer free in-store pick-up to meet consumer needs at a lower cost."
Furthermore, Bizrate Insight's survey found that retailers that do not offer in-store pick-up risk losing sales. Thirteen percent of consumers said they considered abandoning a purchase because in-store pick-up wasn't offered.
According to Shopatron, in-store pick-up is a win-win situation for retailers as 40% of consumers make additional purchases in-store when they pick up their online purchases. Furthermore, retailers save on shipping costs while driving foot traffic to stores.
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...