News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shoppers hunting deals year-round
It used to be that the holiday season was the time that most shoppers looked for the best deal. Not so any longer, at least according to one report which found online searches for deals increased 40% between 2014 and 2015.
Hitwise, a division of Connexity, deal seekers are now looking for deals throughout the year - not just during the holiday season or during back-to-school events. According to their data the share of searches involving coupons or deals is up by nearly half year over year, and most (60%) of 'coupon' based searches are happening via mobile devices. Some of the most sought after deals are for apparel - shoes, specifically.
"Deal-oriented searches include those using keywords: sale, coupon, deal, rebate, bargain, discount or clearance," said John Fetto, senior analyst research and marketing at Connexity. "Interestingly, when it comes to searches for 'sales' specifically, footwear, including shoes and boots, are the most commonly sought-after products throughout the year. August is the peak month for shoe sale searches while November and December are tops for boots. The other most commonly pursued sale items online include: mattresses, TVs, furniture and tires. Typically, September is the month when mattress sale searches are highest whereas television and tire sale searches are greatest in December. Meantime, searches for furniture sales peak during August and September."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• Most shoe searches happen in August, November is the top month for boot searches
• TV and Tire searches rule in December
• Furniture and Mattress searches rule in August/September
And it isn't only deal-shopping that has become a year-round event. Connexity's Bizrate Insights found that back to school shopping, which used to be an end-of-summer event, is starting as early as April. Their recent survey found more than 10% of back to school shoppers will begin picking up items by June, and by August more than half will already be shopping.
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...