News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Expert: Top 3 tips to start and fund your business
Having an idea for a business, some experts say, is the easy part. Getting that business funded, set up and running efficiently is something quite different. One expert weighs in with her top tips for starting up and funding a new business.
First, find your target market and competition.
"Business plans don't have to be extensive--setting aside one hour is enough to create a simple, one-page plan," said Pamela Webber, CMO, 99Designs. "A basic business plan should include a few simple things:
• Market need and value proposition (what's the problem that needs solving and how does your business do that?)
• Your target market
• Your competition
• Your goals
• A plan to achieve those goals (through marketing, staff, milestones, funding, etc).
You should regularly revisit your plan once you've created it as things will change."
Second, know how much money you need.
"Know how much money you need and when you need it. If you don't have your budget already figured out, no one will trust you with their money," said Webber. "Know your own personal credit score (and improve it if it's not so great)--many first-time entrepreneurs are surprised to learn that their personal credit scores can have an impact on their ability to get a business loan."
Finally, research the options.
"When most people think of business funding, they're talking about either a traditional term loan or venture capital backing. There are a lot more options out there (including lines of credit, factoring and crowdfunding)," said Webber.
More from Pamela and 99Designs later this week, including her top tips for building your brand.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...