News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How to detect and remove fake reviews
Detecting fake reviews requires a great deal of diligence and process. It's very important to have an established and documented quality assurance approach that does as much as possible to validate the reviewer and the review. One expert offers these three tips.
First, make sure you know the reviewer's identity is fake
"Use credible sources and methods to validate the reviewer's identity, even if you allow the reviewer to post the public view of the review anonymously," said Michael Fauscette, Chief Resource Officer, G2 Crowd. "Social networks, particularly LinkedIn, used as a part of the signup process are one effective method for establishing identity."
Second, make your policy clear and ensure it is available to reviewers. The policy should cover what is acceptable for review content, and how the business will validate that content.
Third, use trained personnel and software to determine a reviewer's information
"Use a combination of methods to establish review validity that can include risk management software and trained QA personnel. The review can have elements that inherently help with that credibility and give users clear indication that the review is credible and trustworthy based on that QA process. For example, since we're a business software peer review site, we mark reviews as "validated review" after the QA process is successfully completed, and "verified current user" if the reviewer submitted a screenshot of the product being reviewed that shows them as logged into the software," said Fauscette.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...