News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers unhappy with social media as a customer service channel, use declines
Social media has recently been claimed to be 'the' place consumers now consider visiting when seeking customer service and support, but is the environment really as popular for this channel as might be expected?
According to the 2016 Consumer Experience report released by NICE Systems and the Boston Consulting Group (BCG), the use of social media for customer service is declining across several key countries.
In fact, in their survey of more than 1,700 adults across the U.S., U.K., the Netherlands, France and Australia, while daily, weekly, and monthly use of social media channels to resolve customer service issues more than doubled between 2011 and 2013, they have all declined in the years since.
Respondents who do not use social media, which rose from 58% in 2013 to 65% last year, gave a number of reasons why. A third (33%) said it takes too long, 32% cited limited functionality and 30% said it isn't feasible for complex tasks.
Furthermore, the NICE/BCG research found that social media was the channel with the highest percentage of abandons in both 2013 (32%) and 2015 42%).
Interestingly, as demonstrated in the graphic below, more people are looking to mobile apps to provide customer service.
"This year's survey serves as further proof that customer service is becoming more complex and more critical for a company's success," says Tom Dziersk, President NICE Americas. "When an organization can create a perfect experience, there are many dividends, and as the report's findings make clear, ample room for improvement creates many opportunities for businesses to set themselves apart.
Image via Shutterstock
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...