News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
First UK national newspaper ditches print to go digital-only
The Independent and Independent on Sunday newspapers in the UK are to cease publication and go online only, in the starkest sign yet of the pressure on the print industry.
ESI Media has announced that two of its publications - The Independent and The Independent on Sunday - will become the first national newspaper in the UK to move to a digital-only format.
Circulation of The Independent has dropped from a peak of around 400,000 copies a day to today's 40,000 or so, and the Sunday edition now sells just under 43,000. It's figures like this, as well as the reading behavior of the UK population, that has led to the publication's decision to move to a digital-only format.
The last print edition of the Independent will be published on Saturday 26 March, while the last Independent on Sunday will be on 20 March.
The Independent's website is the UK's fastest-growing quality newspaper website with a global unique user base of 70 million. It is a profitable website and revenue is expected to growth 50% in 2016.
"The newspaper industry is changing, and that change is being driven by readers. They're showing us that the future is digital," said Evgeny Lebedev, owner of The Independent. "This decision preserves the Independent brand and allows us to continue to invest in the high-quality editorial content that is attracting more and more readers to our online platforms."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...