News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More research reveals social media an important customer contact channel
More research points to social media as being the place consumers increasingly turn to for answers to queries and to lodge complaints.
A survey of 1,000 consumers in the UK to ascertain views on customer service interactions with companies and opinions on contact centers reveals that social media needs to be taken seriously as a customer contact channel.
Of those surveyed, 1 in 5 said social media was their preferred channel to voice a complaint or for when a complex problem needed solving. As an example, 14% used social media as their first port of call when faced with a crisis or to make a booking and 13% opted to use it to request information above all other channels available.
"Our research findings demonstrate that consumers are willing to use social media for a variety of enquiries - even for complicated ones and to make a complaint," says Chris Cullen, head of sales and marketing at Echo Managed Services.
"Due to the unpredictability of these customer issues and the public facing nature of social media, we believe it should be managed by the customer services function - experts in handling multi-channel customer contact day in day out, rather than an organisation's marketing department. But what's crucial is that both departments work closely together, and not in isolation."
According to Facebook, 2.5 billion public comments are left on business Pages across the globe every month, and that the number of private messages has more than doubled. The use of Facebook for customer service queries and complaints has prompted the social network to introduce new features that improve communication.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...