News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google favors intent over demographics for mobile marketing
An article by Google is putting the cat among the pigeons when it comes to debating the relevance of intent versus demographics in mobile marketing.
Google's essay concludes that intent can be as powerful, or more, than basic demographics when it comes to understanding consumers. According to Google, marketers that rely purely on demographics could be missing out on reaching 70% of potential mobile shoppers.
Why? Because, says Google, "demographics rarely tell the whole story. Understanding consumer intent is much more powerful".
Google touts its consumer intent data based on searches as better information for targeted marketing, particularly on mobile devices, than the demographic targeting used by those such as Facebook.
In support of its assertion, Google notes in a blog post that 56% of sporting goods searchers on mobile are female, as well as 45% of home improvement searchers. In contrast, 68% of skin and body care influencers over the last six months were male.
:Intent beats identity. Immediacy trumps loyalty. When someone has a want or need, they turn to their smartphone for help--whether it's a karate newbie watching an expert do a move on YouTube or a mom looking for the best deal on a pair of sneakers," writes Lisa Gevelber, VP of marketing at Google. "When a need arises, people turn to search and YouTube to look for answers, discover new things, and make decisions. We call these intent-filled moments, micro-moments. And they're the best opportunity marketers have to connect with people at the exact moment they are looking for something."
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
- Kinetic email boosts unique click and click-to-open rates
- Study: GenX, Y most likely to BOPIS
- Experts: Why points aren't enough for loyalty
- How to win the Amazon Buy Box
- Consumers prefer human touch for insurance buying, claims
- Study: Digital strategy not properly defined
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...