News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2016: Year of the Consumer?
According to some experts this year will be the year of the consumer. What does that mean? Consumers have multiple ways to getting in touch with brands, of finding deals and making purchases - all good things for the brands who are ready. Here's how brands can prepare:
First, ask permission.
"Empowered consumers are not luddites -- they understand the value of high quality, relevant ads. Your responsibility to them is to ask them what they want from you, and in what format. If they want text messages because they love to be "in the know" on new offers, make sure you deliver on the trade with great promotions," said Lewis Gersh, CEO, PebblePost.
Next, personalize. But, warn the experts, ensure you're using relevant data to personalize.
"When executed correctly, you can create tailored and value-driving experiences for consumers, but when executed poorly, it can be alienating and damage your brand. We are seeing more and more marketers list personalization as a top priority for the next year, and how it is executed will be key in determining success," said Ted Dhanik, CEO, engage:BDR. "Brands can do a few things to ensure that forays into this space run smoothly. The most effective campaigns will both target intenders and add value. If you can utilize data to find an interested audience, you will already be concentrating spend efficiently. If you can offer those customers a cool experience, better deal, or needed information, you will create goodwill among your audience and an openness to your message. The stakes are high here, however. If you execute in a way that feels invasive, this has the potential to be of great harm to your relationships with consumers."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...