News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands: What you need to know about IPv6
There will be some significant changes to how brands use the Internet in 2016, and the changes won't all be about marketing strategy. The change to IPv6 promises to hold some unique challenges to online businesses.
Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) is coming - and it's coming up fast. While IPv6 has been in use for a couple of years, not all legacy brands have been using it. They've been stuck in IPv4. The problem? There is no more room in IPv4, which means a hard switch to IPv6.
"There are no more IPv4 addresses available which means, starting now and throughout 2016, companies everywhere will need to begin the transition to IPv6. This will be a huge task, since the two versions aren't compatible," said Jeremy Hitchcock, CEO & Co-Founder, Dyn. "But transitioning should be a priority for tech teams and marketers alike. IPv6 is able to provide companies with much more detail when identifying the origins of website traffic. That means IPv6 can offer marketers better insight into customers and, by extension, it will allow them to better personalize web experiences for those customers."
One of the positive changes: IPv6 should help brands better integrate and use the Internet of Things (IoT). Because IPv6 is mobile optimized, and because mobile is seeing such strong growth, the switchover should help brands ready to both advertise, engage and convert.
"IPv6 is better for conversions, and better for your bottom line. Find out if your company is still using IPv4, and begin the conversation about starting that transition sooner rather than later. Like many technology transitions, the change will be slow, but those that embrace the change early will be more advantaged once IPv6 becomes the new normal," said Hitchcock.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...