News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 5 tips for better holiday emails
Over the past few years mobile usage has exceeded desktop usage during the holidays between Fridays and Sundays. One expert outlines how email campaigns can be made stronger for mobile screens.
1. Slim down
"Most email templates are designed for a standard desktop, with a set HTML width of about 600 pixels. This is too wide for most phones, and could result in unnecessary horizontal scrolling," said Victor Amin, SendGrid Data Scientist.
2. Focus on formatting
"Include a plain text version in HTML email and make use of responsive design templates. In general, .jpg, .gif, .png and .pdf attachments are safe to send, provided you include some content in the email as well. However, executable attachments such as .exe, .zip, .swf, etc. should be avoided entirely," said Amin.
3. Don't overuse images
"Marketers are often tempted to go big on visuals but forget that - they increase the risk of emails being classified as spam. If images are unavoidable, emails should be sensibly balanced with at least two lines of text per picture," said Amin.
4. Easy to share
Make sure your action buttons are large enough for a user to easily tap. Every email should have a simple call-to-action with a relevant offer, and easy sharing features.
5. Safe landing
"You've put all this effort into optimizing your email for mobile so don't ruin it by sending your subscribers to a landing page that is not mobile-ready. Your landing page should look as good (or better) on a phone that it does on a standard browser. This means following some of the same rules above regarding page width plus keeping the content brief and easy to digest for subscribers on the go," said Amin.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...