News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shoppers don't trust traditional marketing
There is new data out that indicates traditional marketing methods - TV/radio/print advertising - are not building trust with consumers. In fact, the data indicates there is a large disconnect between what brands believe is happening with their advertising and what their customers think.
Researchers with Experticity surveyed brands and customer to see how they are engaging and nearly across the board marketers reported their traditional marketing strategies were fine-tuned to their customers' wants. However, customers report something else.
According to shoppers advertising falls lower on the list of things that influence them than just about anything else. Most (72%) say friends and family are their biggest purchase influencers followed by online reviews (72%) and third-party experts (61%).
"Consumers clearly value interactions with credible, trustworthy people much more than traditional advertisements,"said Tom Stockham, CEO of Experticity. "Across the board, marketers are overvaluing traditional advertising and not placing nearly enough emphasis on actual people who, it turns out, are what actually impact consumers most. Consumer trust is the most powerful asset marketers have when working to influence purchases, yet trust in traditional marketing tactics is overwhelmingly low. It¹s vital that brands engage with customers in ways that build trust instead of breaking it down."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• 83% of brands report traditional marketing efforts is the 'most influential' with customers
• 82% of brands report social media is at least 'somewhat effective' as an influencer
• About three-quarters of brands reported their company is 'extremely skilled' with the majority of marketing options
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...