News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey reveals the cost of CX failures
New research reveals that 1 in 5 customer experience failures happen before the customer has made a purchase and reveals the top four failures.
In their survey of more than 2,700 consumers across nine countries and three generations, British software firm SDL found that 1 in 5 customer experience failures happen before a purchase is made and 1 in 3 occur post-purchase.
Furthermore, once a customer experiences what they consider a major failure, brands risk serious reputation and financial consequences. Almost two-thirds (64%) will stop recommending the brand and 30% look for an alternative brand. Twelve percent will actively disparage the company via word of mouth, social media or other online channels with consumers in the UK and Australia the most vocal.
During the twelve months following a failure brands can expect to lose 65% of the revenue from those who experienced the failure with 90% saying they will spend less or the same during that time.
The top four failures uncovered by SDL's research are:
- Poor response times (35%);
- Lack of employee empowerment to resolve the issue (31%);
- Poorly trained employees (30%); and
- Inaccurate or conflicting information (29%).
"Consumers have high expectations for brands today and little patience for a break-down in experience," said Paige O'Neill, CMO, SDL. "While the good is expected, the bad will go viral. Keeping this in mind, organizations must have an integrated strategy in place that caters to each individual consumer and empowers employees to meet customers' needs."
Despite failures, the vast majority of consumers (82%) want to try and resolve the issue. However, if a resolution is not forthcoming, only 1 in 5 would consider using that brand again and, of those that do hang around, more than half (59%) would be less loyal.
- Expert: How to know if the cloud is right for your business
- Ad Roundup: Targeting, Payments and Data
- Studies highlight importance of location, relevance
- SMBs: New labor laws could impact revenue lines
- Ad Roundup: Mobile, video and ecommerce
- Expert: What Google, Amazon announcements mean for marketers
- Survey: SMBs keying into social
- Survey: Brands leaving app money on the table
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...