News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Free returns important to customer retention
Charging for returns is a great way to alienate your customers, according to a new report released by the Royal Mail.
According to the Royal Mail's recent 'Delivery Matters Returns Special' report, almost three-quarters (73%) of online shoppers in the UK expect to be able to return items they have purchased free of charge.
In fact, six out of 10 online shoppers said that if a retailer charged for returns they would be unlikely to purchase from them again. Similarly, just over half (56%) said that if a retailer only offered free returns on orders over of set value they would use a different retailer that offered condition-free returns.
"Convenient returns play a big part in making ecommerce attractive and as online shoppers become more and more comfortable with online purchasing they are starting to dictate how they want the process to work, from free returns to end-to-end tracking," said Nick Landon, managing director, Royal Mail Parcels.
Seventy-two percent of those surveyed by Royal Mail said they prefer to drop off returns at the Post Office. To help retailers offer the service their customers' want, Royal Mail has recently launched a Tracked Returns service.
Earlier this year, research into returns by Voxware in the U.S. found that the consequences for retailers are far reaching. Nearly all (97%) of respondents said a satisfactory returns process is 'extremely' or 'very important' in the decision to shop with a retailer in the future. That's up from 84% who cited the same in Voxware's 2013 survey.
Image via Shutterstock
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...