News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forecast: Mobile ads to overtake desktop ads
From the 'mobile is the new black' column, a new forecast out from Marin Software suggests the mobile ad spend will push past the desktop spend by year's end. According to the Mobile Advertising Around the Globe: 2015 Annual Report the increase is based on consumer adoption of mobile devices and the fact that many shoppers are now researching products via mobile devices before making purchases.
Researchers found that mobile search CTRs average 2.7% (desktop averages 2.1%), but conversion rates via desktop continue to be stronger. On average, desktop search ads convert about 10% of the time, while desktop social ads convert 1%. Mobile conversion rates are 7.1% (mobile search), 0.4% (social) and 2.6% (display).
"The rise of mobile is nothing short of astounding, but it's important to remember most people jump between desktop and mobile several times when researching and buying products," said Matt Ackley, CMO of Marin Software. "Our new data reveals that advertisers clearly need to adopt strategies to reach consumers across multiple channels, using tools to accurately track attribution for mobile ads. Clicks on mobile ads don't always lead to direct conversions, but often influence desktop or in-store purchases. "
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• 55% of brands social ad spend is geared to smartphones/tablets
• Mobile display ad clicks increased 60% (Jan-Dec 2014)
• Most display ad clicks come from mobile devices
• Mobile paid search clicks increased 36% (Jan-Dec 2014)
Mobile search clicks are expected to push past the 50% mark by the end of the year, which is pushing more search ad dollars into mobile versus desktop.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...