News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Young mobile users annoyed by ads in apps
Youth insights consultancy Voxburner surveyed students in the U.K. to see what they find most annoying about mobile apps. One element stuck out more than others - ads in apps.
Young mobile users love their apps. Three-quarters (73%) have a core of up to 10 apps they use frequently, while half (53%) have more than 30 apps downloaded to their phone. Four percent have more than 100 apps.
The responses of 1,000 U.K. students to Voxburner's survey showed that many things irk them about mobile apps. Almost half (45%) are frustrated when apps take too long to load. Push notifications annoyed 34% and 28% immediately turned off the feature after downloading an app. Required login irks 30% and finding an app was not available for their device's operating system frustrated 35%.
However, far more than performance issues, it was ads in apps that proved the most annoying - cited by more than two-thirds (67%).
"The number of apps young people keep on their phone indicates that there's no space for those that aren't providing fun or utility," says Luke Mitchell, head of insight at Voxburner. "Annoy them with excessive push notifications or intrusive ads and you'll feel the full impact of the 'uninstall' button."
Image via Shutterstock
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
- Reports: Mobile economy flourishing
- Top 3 trends to push marketers ahead in 2015
- Consumers want marketing email based on previous purchases
- Kenshoo highlights rise in Facebook ad spend
- Study: Americans don't understand their health plan
Featured White Papers
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...
- Twitter for Business: Everything You Need to Know
Using Twitter requires a lot more effort than just sharing a link and throwing in a hashtag or two....