News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
U.K. tour operator installs virtual reality experience in-store
Thomas Cook, the UK-based tour operator, is using the latest in virtual reality technology to provide potential customers with tours of resorts and the company's airline.
The latest of Thomas Cook's concept stores, recently opened at Kent's Bluewater shopping mall, is taking travel agent technology to the next level. In the existing concept stores features include an 'Advice Bar App', developed exclusively for Thomas Cook by Microsoft partner Infusion. The app is only available to use in-store and includes features that enable store visitors to research holidays by price, departure time and gateway. The concept stores also feature an area dedicated to group bookings and a Disney-themed children's area.
The new Bluewater-based concept store will feature even more technology, most significantly the introduction of Oculus Rift headsets. Using the headset's virtual reality capabilities, store visitors can immerse themselves in a holiday experience by 'visiting' one of Thomas Cook's Sentido resorts or having a look around the company's airline.
Not only will headset users enjoy a visual experience, but the virtual reality trip also provides them with audio and olfactory cues.
"The technology advancements in virtual reality over the last 18 months have made it a real contender for playing a key role in changing the way we can showcase experience-based products to our customers, especially in the high street environment," said John Straw, Chairman of Thomas Cook's Digital Advisory Board. "We have a roadmap to move forwards into more testing which looks at how we integrate innovative content into a virtual experience for our customers across Europe."
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
- Study: Finance, saving important to Millenials
- Survey: More consumers want to be paperless
- Survey IDS when customers will share personal data
- Bing: Voice searches for hotels up 343% YoY
- Top 5 tips to take business paperless
- Snap Ads spend rises 593% QoQ
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...