News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
U.K. tour operator installs virtual reality experience in-store
Thomas Cook, the UK-based tour operator, is using the latest in virtual reality technology to provide potential customers with tours of resorts and the company's airline.
The latest of Thomas Cook's concept stores, recently opened at Kent's Bluewater shopping mall, is taking travel agent technology to the next level. In the existing concept stores features include an 'Advice Bar App', developed exclusively for Thomas Cook by Microsoft partner Infusion. The app is only available to use in-store and includes features that enable store visitors to research holidays by price, departure time and gateway. The concept stores also feature an area dedicated to group bookings and a Disney-themed children's area.
The new Bluewater-based concept store will feature even more technology, most significantly the introduction of Oculus Rift headsets. Using the headset's virtual reality capabilities, store visitors can immerse themselves in a holiday experience by 'visiting' one of Thomas Cook's Sentido resorts or having a look around the company's airline.
Not only will headset users enjoy a visual experience, but the virtual reality trip also provides them with audio and olfactory cues.
"The technology advancements in virtual reality over the last 18 months have made it a real contender for playing a key role in changing the way we can showcase experience-based products to our customers, especially in the high street environment," said John Straw, Chairman of Thomas Cook's Digital Advisory Board. "We have a roadmap to move forwards into more testing which looks at how we integrate innovative content into a virtual experience for our customers across Europe."
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...