News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
U.K. tour operator installs virtual reality experience in-store
Thomas Cook, the UK-based tour operator, is using the latest in virtual reality technology to provide potential customers with tours of resorts and the company's airline.
The latest of Thomas Cook's concept stores, recently opened at Kent's Bluewater shopping mall, is taking travel agent technology to the next level. In the existing concept stores features include an 'Advice Bar App', developed exclusively for Thomas Cook by Microsoft partner Infusion. The app is only available to use in-store and includes features that enable store visitors to research holidays by price, departure time and gateway. The concept stores also feature an area dedicated to group bookings and a Disney-themed children's area.
The new Bluewater-based concept store will feature even more technology, most significantly the introduction of Oculus Rift headsets. Using the headset's virtual reality capabilities, store visitors can immerse themselves in a holiday experience by 'visiting' one of Thomas Cook's Sentido resorts or having a look around the company's airline.
Not only will headset users enjoy a visual experience, but the virtual reality trip also provides them with audio and olfactory cues.
"The technology advancements in virtual reality over the last 18 months have made it a real contender for playing a key role in changing the way we can showcase experience-based products to our customers, especially in the high street environment," said John Straw, Chairman of Thomas Cook's Digital Advisory Board. "We have a roadmap to move forwards into more testing which looks at how we integrate innovative content into a virtual experience for our customers across Europe."
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....