News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
According to Sage Pay, online spending in the UK will exceed £13 billion (US$22 billion) this Christmas, an 18% increase on last year, but SMBs not yet online are set to lose out on much, much more.
Summer is in its final throes, and thoughts are already turning to Christmas among consumers and businesses. In fact, London store Selfridges opened up its Christmas floor more than three weeks ago, claiming to be the first department store in the world to start Christmas sales, and more than 2.7 million eBay searches for 'Christmas' are expected during August.
Online shopping is set to break records again this year, according to payment processing firm Sage Pay. Their research points to a figure in excess of £13 billion (US$22 billion) being spent online.
For those businesses who are yet to embrace online, Sage Pay estimates they are set to lose out on a whopping £88 billion (US$146 billion). And, with only 10% of small to medium size businesses in the UK currently online, that's a lot of businesses missing out this festive season.
"With record online spending predicted for Christmas 2014, it's never been more important for small businesses to be online. Most larger retailers are already preparing themselves for Christmas, and if independent merchants want to capitalize on consumers' confidence, they need to follow suit and begin preparing too," said Simon Black, CEO of Sage Pay.
According to Black, the key to preparing for the festive season is to ensure both websites and payments systems are optimized for perhaps the busiest online shopping day in the run up to Christmas - Cyber Monday. This year that falls on 1 December.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....