News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
Hungry Brits turned to take-out food during another cold and damp Bank Holiday, according to new research from VoucherCodes.co.uk, and searches for holidays and wet weather gear also rose.
Between 5pm and 8pm on the recent August bank holiday in Britain traffic to VoucherCodes.co.uk saw a 400% surge. The reason behind the spike was hungry Brits searching for take-out food offers after the summer weather turned autumnal and boosted the demand for comfort food.
The top choice was pizza with pizza-related offers up 196% week-on-week.
Recent research by OnePoll, on behalf of VoucherCodes.co.uk, found that Brits spend one third of their total food budget on take-out food and eating out with younger age groups spending the most - around £2,111 (US$3,500) on take-out food each year. The recent Bank Holiday traffic to VoucherCodes.co.uk also reflected this finding with 25-34 year-olds searching for take-out codes more than any other group.
"With a sudden return to weather more associated with October than August, many of us were reluctant to head out into the rain and wind on Monday," said Claire Davenport, Managing Director at VoucherCodes.co.uk. "Clearly the thought of a comforting dinner being delivered to the door was on the mind of those who'd celebrated the bank holiday and it's good to see retailers and restaurateurs ready to oblige with many offering discounts of up to 50%."
The inclement weather also led to a 75% rise in searches for wet weather gear, peaking on the Bank Holiday Monday, while searches relating to holiday bookings also climbed 25%.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecomm Roundup: 3 platform releases offer more control
- Top 3 tips to make the most of Instagram ads
- Study: Publishers concerned about Google, Facebook, competition
- Most parents will shop offline for Halloween candy and costumes
- VR, mobile to boost game industry revenues past $100 billion by 2018
- Four tips to connect with festive shoppers
- Retailers can convert 'window shoppers' with real-time analytics
- Mobile use during dining experience researched
Featured White Papers
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...