News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK app market reaching saturation point?
Average monthly downloads of mobile apps has fallen during 2014, according to a new report from business consultancy Deloitte, signaling the market may have reached saturation point.
Among consumers who download mobile apps the average monthly number of downloads has decreased significantly. According to Deloitte's latest figures, the number has dropped from 2013's 2.32 per user to 1.82 this year.
Furthermore, the percentage of mobile users who never download apps has increased - from less than 20% in 2013 to 31% during 2014.
It could well be that, as Paul Lee, analyst at Deloitte observes, mobile users have already downloaded all the apps they require and those apps are good enough that people keep using them and don't feel inclined to search out replacements.
However, Lee also points out that the overall size of the app market is not decreasing, noting a rise in the number of "casual users" who use fewer apps within a larger smartphone market.
Recent data from Nielsen reveals that there is a limit to how many apps a mobile user can engage with in any one month. That number is 26.8, only a slight increase on the 23.3 apps per month reported at the end of 2011, despite a significant rise in the number of apps available to both Android and iPhone users.
While the number of apps being used hasn't changed very much, the amount of time spent using them has. Nielsen found that both Android and iPhone users spend 65% more time using apps today than they did two years ago. In the final quarter of 2013, 30 hours and 15 minutes was spent engaging with apps each month, a significant increase from the 18 hours and 18 minutes spent in the final quarter of 2011.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...