News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 website optimization tips
"Black Hat" SEO - the strategy of creating pages jammed with keywords that dont' make any sense and creating link farms - still resonates around the web. Users and search engines are smarter; to connect now, the key is creating and optimizing relevant, intelligent content.
Kristina: Does website optimization go hand-in-hand with website personalization? Why/why not?
Michael LaVista, CEO and Founder, CAXY: From an SEO point of view, personalization doesn't have an effect. Since you have to log in to get personalized content, a search engine won't ever see that. But from an engagement and value point of view, personalization optimizes the impact on the user. It allows you to deliver what that users wants and the right time and in the right place.
Kristina: What is it that businesses are doing 'wrong' with their sites?
Michael: Most businesses still don't think about their content strategy from the listener's point of view. Too much content is about what the company wants to say. Another typical struggle is not being able to establish a clear content hierarchy. A symptom is trying to say everything to every audience on the home page.
We have seen that most businesses don't pay attention to their analytics. Websites speak to their businesses through the numbers in the analytics. Businesses which spend time analyzing and learning from them will prosper.
Kristina: What are your top 3 site optimization tips?
Michael: 1) Go to your site analytics now and think about the reasons for your top 5 page visits. Make a change based on what you learn
2) Set up Google Webmaster Tools, let a scan complete and fix any obvious, low hanging fruit. The most common problem we've seen is that ll the pages have the same title
3) Create 3 unique pages for the top 3 keywords that people currently find the site through. Put a call to action on those pages
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...