News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 website optimization tips
"Black Hat" SEO - the strategy of creating pages jammed with keywords that dont' make any sense and creating link farms - still resonates around the web. Users and search engines are smarter; to connect now, the key is creating and optimizing relevant, intelligent content.
Kristina: Does website optimization go hand-in-hand with website personalization? Why/why not?
Michael LaVista, CEO and Founder, CAXY: From an SEO point of view, personalization doesn't have an effect. Since you have to log in to get personalized content, a search engine won't ever see that. But from an engagement and value point of view, personalization optimizes the impact on the user. It allows you to deliver what that users wants and the right time and in the right place.
Kristina: What is it that businesses are doing 'wrong' with their sites?
Michael: Most businesses still don't think about their content strategy from the listener's point of view. Too much content is about what the company wants to say. Another typical struggle is not being able to establish a clear content hierarchy. A symptom is trying to say everything to every audience on the home page.
We have seen that most businesses don't pay attention to their analytics. Websites speak to their businesses through the numbers in the analytics. Businesses which spend time analyzing and learning from them will prosper.
Kristina: What are your top 3 site optimization tips?
Michael: 1) Go to your site analytics now and think about the reasons for your top 5 page visits. Make a change based on what you learn
2) Set up Google Webmaster Tools, let a scan complete and fix any obvious, low hanging fruit. The most common problem we've seen is that ll the pages have the same title
3) Create 3 unique pages for the top 3 keywords that people currently find the site through. Put a call to action on those pages
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Targeting, Payments and Data
- Studies highlight importance of location, relevance
- SMBs: New labor laws could impact revenue lines
- Ad Roundup: Mobile, video and ecommerce
- Expert: What Google, Amazon announcements mean for marketers
- Survey: SMBs keying into social
- Survey: Brands leaving app money on the table
- Brands: Why you should prep for cyber attacks
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...