News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 website optimization tips
"Black Hat" SEO - the strategy of creating pages jammed with keywords that dont' make any sense and creating link farms - still resonates around the web. Users and search engines are smarter; to connect now, the key is creating and optimizing relevant, intelligent content.
Kristina: Does website optimization go hand-in-hand with website personalization? Why/why not?
Michael LaVista, CEO and Founder, CAXY: From an SEO point of view, personalization doesn't have an effect. Since you have to log in to get personalized content, a search engine won't ever see that. But from an engagement and value point of view, personalization optimizes the impact on the user. It allows you to deliver what that users wants and the right time and in the right place.
Kristina: What is it that businesses are doing 'wrong' with their sites?
Michael: Most businesses still don't think about their content strategy from the listener's point of view. Too much content is about what the company wants to say. Another typical struggle is not being able to establish a clear content hierarchy. A symptom is trying to say everything to every audience on the home page.
We have seen that most businesses don't pay attention to their analytics. Websites speak to their businesses through the numbers in the analytics. Businesses which spend time analyzing and learning from them will prosper.
Kristina: What are your top 3 site optimization tips?
Michael: 1) Go to your site analytics now and think about the reasons for your top 5 page visits. Make a change based on what you learn
2) Set up Google Webmaster Tools, let a scan complete and fix any obvious, low hanging fruit. The most common problem we've seen is that ll the pages have the same title
3) Create 3 unique pages for the top 3 keywords that people currently find the site through. Put a call to action on those pages
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...