News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
Properly attributing visits, clicks and shares across the online and social spaces allows brands to tailor their content marketing to create content with which their audience will engage. This also represents the best potential communities to connect with and can help identify which devices the audience is commonly using to access content.
"It is time for this influential behavior to be brought to light so that brand marketers can possess a more accurate view of how their top webpages or pieces of content are delivering their traffic. Understanding the sharing methods, geographies and devices that drive the largest volume of click backs can only increase this free user acquisition," said Rebecca Watson, Vice President of Business Development, RadiumOne.
Dark social, or the sharing of digital content by consumers outside traditional social networks, is one area more brands need to access, advises Watson. By knowing how consumers are sharing content and which content pieces - images, video, ads, etc. - are getting the most shares, retailers can continue to create the best content for their shoppers.
Here are Watson's top three tips.
First, enable tools that will track both copy/paste sharing and click backs. Social sharing buttons are important, but don't rely simply on these options because many consumers aren't using them.
Second, allow for auto-inserts of the original URL. People are copy/pasting bits of text more and more and by allowing for the original URL to be inserted in those selections, there is a trail back to the brands' original content.
Finally, leverage analytics.
"[Retailers should] leverage a third-party social analytics tool that provides a 360-degree view of all types of your users' sharing and click back activity," said Watson.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....