News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
Properly attributing visits, clicks and shares across the online and social spaces allows brands to tailor their content marketing to create content with which their audience will engage. This also represents the best potential communities to connect with and can help identify which devices the audience is commonly using to access content.
"It is time for this influential behavior to be brought to light so that brand marketers can possess a more accurate view of how their top webpages or pieces of content are delivering their traffic. Understanding the sharing methods, geographies and devices that drive the largest volume of click backs can only increase this free user acquisition," said Rebecca Watson, Vice President of Business Development, RadiumOne.
Dark social, or the sharing of digital content by consumers outside traditional social networks, is one area more brands need to access, advises Watson. By knowing how consumers are sharing content and which content pieces - images, video, ads, etc. - are getting the most shares, retailers can continue to create the best content for their shoppers.
Here are Watson's top three tips.
First, enable tools that will track both copy/paste sharing and click backs. Social sharing buttons are important, but don't rely simply on these options because many consumers aren't using them.
Second, allow for auto-inserts of the original URL. People are copy/pasting bits of text more and more and by allowing for the original URL to be inserted in those selections, there is a trail back to the brands' original content.
Finally, leverage analytics.
"[Retailers should] leverage a third-party social analytics tool that provides a 360-degree view of all types of your users' sharing and click back activity," said Watson.
Image via Shutterstock
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...