News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to create more engaging video content
Viral videos like Weird Al's 'Tacky' all share the same common traits - originality, humor (often off-beat), and references to popular culture. These elements, when combined in simple and digestible formats, evoke an emotional response from consumers that drives them to action. The action is to share the content within their social graphs, thereby contributing to the video's virality.
Kristina: What can brands new to the video space take away from the interest in clips like those from Weird Al?
Chris Mahl, President, JW Player: The massive scale that the "Tacky" video accomplished shows that independent video content publishing, particularly the "viral video" phenomenon, without YouTube is possible, and enables publishers to take more ownership over their users experience. Using a third-party video technology like JW Player allows brands moving into the content space to create a seamless user experience that is customized and consistent with the brand, not the video technology provider (unlike the case with YouTube, where videos and user experience are branded and controlled by YouTube).
Kristina: Why should brands consider publishing outside the YouTube infrastructure?
Chris: There are three key technological benefits to publishing off of YouTube:
• High Dynamic Range Scaling--Video image is higher quality, ensures better viewing experience on JW Player's platform
• Low-Latency, Fast start--JW Player's platform ensures that videos start playing faster, keeping viewers engaged and on your site
• Massive Open Video Ecosystem Infrastructure(MOVE)--Users can customize the look and feel of the Player so that they can control their own user experience
Kristina: What are your top 3 tips for retailers or brands in creating engaging video content?
Chris: 1. Originality speaks for itself, create some art!
2. Showcase your unique point of view while being aware of your target audience. Producing content that has a point of view is the foundation to creating viral content. Take into account the demographics of your target audience to find a way to best communicate your point of view and increase the virality of your content.
3. Evoke an emotional response. An emotional response drives action, whether it's expressed in the form of viewer comments or social shares. The stronger the emotional response, the more likely your content is to go viral.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...