News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Third of UK employees shop online during work hours
British employees who find it hard to make time outside of work to do their shopping have found a way around it - they are increasingly shopping online from work.
According to a recent survey by charitable price comparison website Give As You Live, workers in the UK are spending an average of 24 minutes in every working day to browse and make purchases online. This behavior is costing employers 125 million working days a year as one third of workers admit to shopping during working hours.
Between January and July 2014 there has been a 14% increase in the number of online transactions between 9am and 5pm compared with the same period in 2013.
The sites most often visited during work hours are Tesco, Marks & Spencer and thetrainline with an average of £77.49 (US$129) being spent during working hours. The most popular time to shop is 11am on Mondays, found the survey.
"It's often said that there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done, something our figures confirm," said Steff Lewis from Give As You Live on the company's blog. "Working nine to five is how most people make a living, but it also means we have less time to do important 'life admin' like shopping. Now we can see how Brits are coping - by shopping on the boss' dollar."
Image via Shutterstock
- SMBs: What to look for in your next device
- 3 ways analytics may be clouding your strategy
- Why brands need to know document search
- Half of cybersecurity experts say mobile payments are not secure
- Amazon the go-to place for consumers to search for products
- Which holiday season promos will motivate consumers to buy?
- Display ad revenues continue to rise despite ad blocking
- Mobile camera functionality key to capturing Millennials' loyalty
Featured White Papers
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...