News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Third of UK employees shop online during work hours
British employees who find it hard to make time outside of work to do their shopping have found a way around it - they are increasingly shopping online from work.
According to a recent survey by charitable price comparison website Give As You Live, workers in the UK are spending an average of 24 minutes in every working day to browse and make purchases online. This behavior is costing employers 125 million working days a year as one third of workers admit to shopping during working hours.
Between January and July 2014 there has been a 14% increase in the number of online transactions between 9am and 5pm compared with the same period in 2013.
The sites most often visited during work hours are Tesco, Marks & Spencer and thetrainline with an average of £77.49 (US$129) being spent during working hours. The most popular time to shop is 11am on Mondays, found the survey.
"It's often said that there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done, something our figures confirm," said Steff Lewis from Give As You Live on the company's blog. "Working nine to five is how most people make a living, but it also means we have less time to do important 'life admin' like shopping. Now we can see how Brits are coping - by shopping on the boss' dollar."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...