News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television viewing alive and kicking in the UK
Mobile devices have prompted the watching of television programs on small screens but, according to new data from BroadStream Solutions, that's not exactly what's happening in lounges across the UK.
According to BroadStream Solutions' data, collected by YouGov, more than 8 in 10 British households (83%) still watch television on a television set. Of the more than 2,000 Brits surveyed, 89% said they continue to regularly watch television programming live, although a quarter (24%) admitted to using a second screen during their viewing experience.
Certain types of television coverage - such as reality television and sports coverage - were preferred to watch live, most probably due to the likelihood of encountering spoilers on social media and elsewhere. Mark Errington, CEO of BroadStream Solutions also observes that such programs don't have the same impact when recorded.
"The range of services now available to consumers certainly gives them the opportunity to consume TV content in new ways, but the focal point of the living room is increasingly becoming the TV once again," says Errington.
Despite the growth of watching live television, catch up services aren't suffering. BroadStream Solutions' research also found that the use of video on demand services such as the BBC's iPlay and 4oD has trebled in the last 10 years from 16% to 57%.
Recent research from Nielsen found that more people were watching live television due to the potential of seeing spoilers via social media.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...