News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television viewing alive and kicking in the UK
Mobile devices have prompted the watching of television programs on small screens but, according to new data from BroadStream Solutions, that's not exactly what's happening in lounges across the UK.
According to BroadStream Solutions' data, collected by YouGov, more than 8 in 10 British households (83%) still watch television on a television set. Of the more than 2,000 Brits surveyed, 89% said they continue to regularly watch television programming live, although a quarter (24%) admitted to using a second screen during their viewing experience.
Certain types of television coverage - such as reality television and sports coverage - were preferred to watch live, most probably due to the likelihood of encountering spoilers on social media and elsewhere. Mark Errington, CEO of BroadStream Solutions also observes that such programs don't have the same impact when recorded.
"The range of services now available to consumers certainly gives them the opportunity to consume TV content in new ways, but the focal point of the living room is increasingly becoming the TV once again," says Errington.
Despite the growth of watching live television, catch up services aren't suffering. BroadStream Solutions' research also found that the use of video on demand services such as the BBC's iPlay and 4oD has trebled in the last 10 years from 16% to 57%.
Recent research from Nielsen found that more people were watching live television due to the potential of seeing spoilers via social media.
Image via Shutterstock
- How to use your CTA to drive email conversions
- Expert: How to improve personalization strategy
- How to use payments as a marketing tool
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and a new release
- Top 3 tips to use a loyalty program to build engagement
- Fewer people report suffering with information overload than a decade ago
- Third of businesses globally under-prepared for digital transformation
- Expert: Tipping point for personalization is near
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...