News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television viewing alive and kicking in the UK
Mobile devices have prompted the watching of television programs on small screens but, according to new data from BroadStream Solutions, that's not exactly what's happening in lounges across the UK.
According to BroadStream Solutions' data, collected by YouGov, more than 8 in 10 British households (83%) still watch television on a television set. Of the more than 2,000 Brits surveyed, 89% said they continue to regularly watch television programming live, although a quarter (24%) admitted to using a second screen during their viewing experience.
Certain types of television coverage - such as reality television and sports coverage - were preferred to watch live, most probably due to the likelihood of encountering spoilers on social media and elsewhere. Mark Errington, CEO of BroadStream Solutions also observes that such programs don't have the same impact when recorded.
"The range of services now available to consumers certainly gives them the opportunity to consume TV content in new ways, but the focal point of the living room is increasingly becoming the TV once again," says Errington.
Despite the growth of watching live television, catch up services aren't suffering. BroadStream Solutions' research also found that the use of video on demand services such as the BBC's iPlay and 4oD has trebled in the last 10 years from 16% to 57%.
Recent research from Nielsen found that more people were watching live television due to the potential of seeing spoilers via social media.
Image via Shutterstock
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...