News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television viewing alive and kicking in the UK
Mobile devices have prompted the watching of television programs on small screens but, according to new data from BroadStream Solutions, that's not exactly what's happening in lounges across the UK.
According to BroadStream Solutions' data, collected by YouGov, more than 8 in 10 British households (83%) still watch television on a television set. Of the more than 2,000 Brits surveyed, 89% said they continue to regularly watch television programming live, although a quarter (24%) admitted to using a second screen during their viewing experience.
Certain types of television coverage - such as reality television and sports coverage - were preferred to watch live, most probably due to the likelihood of encountering spoilers on social media and elsewhere. Mark Errington, CEO of BroadStream Solutions also observes that such programs don't have the same impact when recorded.
"The range of services now available to consumers certainly gives them the opportunity to consume TV content in new ways, but the focal point of the living room is increasingly becoming the TV once again," says Errington.
Despite the growth of watching live television, catch up services aren't suffering. BroadStream Solutions' research also found that the use of video on demand services such as the BBC's iPlay and 4oD has trebled in the last 10 years from 16% to 57%.
Recent research from Nielsen found that more people were watching live television due to the potential of seeing spoilers via social media.
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...