News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television viewing alive and kicking in the UK
Mobile devices have prompted the watching of television programs on small screens but, according to new data from BroadStream Solutions, that's not exactly what's happening in lounges across the UK.
According to BroadStream Solutions' data, collected by YouGov, more than 8 in 10 British households (83%) still watch television on a television set. Of the more than 2,000 Brits surveyed, 89% said they continue to regularly watch television programming live, although a quarter (24%) admitted to using a second screen during their viewing experience.
Certain types of television coverage - such as reality television and sports coverage - were preferred to watch live, most probably due to the likelihood of encountering spoilers on social media and elsewhere. Mark Errington, CEO of BroadStream Solutions also observes that such programs don't have the same impact when recorded.
"The range of services now available to consumers certainly gives them the opportunity to consume TV content in new ways, but the focal point of the living room is increasingly becoming the TV once again," says Errington.
Despite the growth of watching live television, catch up services aren't suffering. BroadStream Solutions' research also found that the use of video on demand services such as the BBC's iPlay and 4oD has trebled in the last 10 years from 16% to 57%.
Recent research from Nielsen found that more people were watching live television due to the potential of seeing spoilers via social media.
Image via Shutterstock
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...