News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study reveals the privacy issues behind the Internet of Things
A worryingly high percentage of Internet of Things devices have security vulnerabilities that, instead of making life easier, could cause more problems than they are worth.
Hewlett-Packard's Fortify on Demand division has released its first 'Internet of Things State of the Union Report' and, for those intending to implement such devices into their lives it is scary reading.
HP investigated ten of the most popular Internet of Things devices - door locks, webcams, televisions, alarms, garage openers, power outlets, sprinklers, scales, home thermostats and hubs for controlling multiple devices. They spent three weeks hacking the devices to try to identify weak spots.
The results? Each device was found to have an average of 25 vulnerabilities, the most worrisome being a lack of security. Seventy percent of devices didn't use any kind of encryption, while half of the devices' mobile apps were found to be sending unencrypted communications to the cloud and Web.
Furthermore, 80% of the devices failed to require passwords of sufficient length and complexity making them vulnerable to attack. Sixty percent were identified as having "insecure web interfaces".
According to the report, "A majority of devices along with their cloud and mobile components failed to require passwords of sufficient complexity and length with most allowing passwords such as "1234" or "123456". In fact, many of the accounts we configured with weak passwords were also used on cloud websites as well as the product's mobile application. A strong password policy is Security 101 and most solutions failed."
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...