News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study reveals impact of mobile use on Japanese students' grades
A survey by the Japanese government has shed some light on the effect of extended mobile use on children's school test results.
In their survey of third grade students in junior high school in Japan (14-15-year-olds) and those in their last year of elementary school (age 11), the Japanese education ministry has concluded that school test performance is significantly lower among those who spend four hours or more a day on their mobile phone.
Over 10% of the high school students were found to use their mobile device for at least four hours each day. Their grade scores were found to suffer to the tune of an average 14 percentage points across all subjects. The highest deficit was in mathematics where it rose to 18 percentage points.
Among 14-15-year-olds, nearly half said they spend at least an hour daily on their mobile device playing games, sending emails and browsing the mobile Internet. Less than a quarter in this age group did not own a mobile phone.
Among 11-year-olds, sixth graders at elementary school, 54% were found to own a mobile phone and 15% spend at least one hour using it every day.
Kazuo Takeuchi, who has studied the way youngsters use mobiles, warned that rules needed to be put in place immediately to prevent youngsters' proclivity for mobile phones negatively impacting on their education.
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...