News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Security at the heart of U.K. mobile banking fears
Is mobile set to revolutionize banking in the UK as much as the the industry itself purports? Not according to new statistics from security and credential management specialists Intercede.
It was only last month that the British Banking Association reported that a 'revolution' in banking was taking place in the UK.
Citing statistics such as download rates of banking apps hitting 15,000 per day and nearly £1 billion a day (US$1.7 billion) being transacted via mobile and Internet banking in the UK, it sure sounded like the British are whole-heartedly embracing new banking technology.
But new research from Intercede - 'The Rise of the Identity Centric Economy' - seems to paint a very different picture. Their survey of 2,000 UK consumers found that half (53%) said they would never consider using a mobile banking service. In fact, many said they avoid using any mobile financial services at all.
Half said they avoid mobile money transfers while a quarter (24%) would not feel safe shopping via a mobile device.
According to Richard Parris, CEO of Intercede, recent news of hacking and major security attacks are challenging consumers' trust in mobile security.
"This is throttling the mobile economy," says Parris. "But with the mobile device boom set to continue, it's clear that security needs a radical revamp."
Maybe it's an age thing? Apparently not. In fact, it was those aged between 18 and 24 that were the most distrustful of smartphone-based banking and financial services with 62% saying they would never use mobile banking.
Image via Shutterstock
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....