News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Security at the heart of U.K. mobile banking fears
Is mobile set to revolutionize banking in the UK as much as the the industry itself purports? Not according to new statistics from security and credential management specialists Intercede.
It was only last month that the British Banking Association reported that a 'revolution' in banking was taking place in the UK.
Citing statistics such as download rates of banking apps hitting 15,000 per day and nearly £1 billion a day (US$1.7 billion) being transacted via mobile and Internet banking in the UK, it sure sounded like the British are whole-heartedly embracing new banking technology.
But new research from Intercede - 'The Rise of the Identity Centric Economy' - seems to paint a very different picture. Their survey of 2,000 UK consumers found that half (53%) said they would never consider using a mobile banking service. In fact, many said they avoid using any mobile financial services at all.
Half said they avoid mobile money transfers while a quarter (24%) would not feel safe shopping via a mobile device.
According to Richard Parris, CEO of Intercede, recent news of hacking and major security attacks are challenging consumers' trust in mobile security.
"This is throttling the mobile economy," says Parris. "But with the mobile device boom set to continue, it's clear that security needs a radical revamp."
Maybe it's an age thing? Apparently not. In fact, it was those aged between 18 and 24 that were the most distrustful of smartphone-based banking and financial services with 62% saying they would never use mobile banking.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...