News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Security at the heart of U.K. mobile banking fears
Is mobile set to revolutionize banking in the UK as much as the the industry itself purports? Not according to new statistics from security and credential management specialists Intercede.
It was only last month that the British Banking Association reported that a 'revolution' in banking was taking place in the UK.
Citing statistics such as download rates of banking apps hitting 15,000 per day and nearly £1 billion a day (US$1.7 billion) being transacted via mobile and Internet banking in the UK, it sure sounded like the British are whole-heartedly embracing new banking technology.
But new research from Intercede - 'The Rise of the Identity Centric Economy' - seems to paint a very different picture. Their survey of 2,000 UK consumers found that half (53%) said they would never consider using a mobile banking service. In fact, many said they avoid using any mobile financial services at all.
Half said they avoid mobile money transfers while a quarter (24%) would not feel safe shopping via a mobile device.
According to Richard Parris, CEO of Intercede, recent news of hacking and major security attacks are challenging consumers' trust in mobile security.
"This is throttling the mobile economy," says Parris. "But with the mobile device boom set to continue, it's clear that security needs a radical revamp."
Maybe it's an age thing? Apparently not. In fact, it was those aged between 18 and 24 that were the most distrustful of smartphone-based banking and financial services with 62% saying they would never use mobile banking.
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...