News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Security at the heart of U.K. mobile banking fears
Is mobile set to revolutionize banking in the UK as much as the the industry itself purports? Not according to new statistics from security and credential management specialists Intercede.
It was only last month that the British Banking Association reported that a 'revolution' in banking was taking place in the UK.
Citing statistics such as download rates of banking apps hitting 15,000 per day and nearly £1 billion a day (US$1.7 billion) being transacted via mobile and Internet banking in the UK, it sure sounded like the British are whole-heartedly embracing new banking technology.
But new research from Intercede - 'The Rise of the Identity Centric Economy' - seems to paint a very different picture. Their survey of 2,000 UK consumers found that half (53%) said they would never consider using a mobile banking service. In fact, many said they avoid using any mobile financial services at all.
Half said they avoid mobile money transfers while a quarter (24%) would not feel safe shopping via a mobile device.
According to Richard Parris, CEO of Intercede, recent news of hacking and major security attacks are challenging consumers' trust in mobile security.
"This is throttling the mobile economy," says Parris. "But with the mobile device boom set to continue, it's clear that security needs a radical revamp."
Maybe it's an age thing? Apparently not. In fact, it was those aged between 18 and 24 that were the most distrustful of smartphone-based banking and financial services with 62% saying they would never use mobile banking.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...