News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report illustrates traditional vs. digital media consumption
As digital continues to infiltrate consumers' daily lives, wherever in the globe they may be, traditional media is being given the heave-ho as computers and mobiles increasingly account for our news and TV consumption and socializing.
A new study from GlobalWebIndex reveals that few places exist where traditional media still dominates digital - Australia, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland and the U.K.
However, even in these countries, digital is closing the gap.
The average daily time spent with online media, globally, is now just over six hours (6.09), up from just short of six hours (5.55) back in 2012.
As mobile adoption continues to rise, the channel now accounts for 30% of time spent with online media, found London-based GlobalWebIndex. Within fast growing markets, such as Saudi Arabia and Thailand, that figure is bigger at around 40%.
Younger demographics (age16-24) use mobile to consume media far more than other age groups - 2.77 hours per day.
Other key findings from the company's Q3 2014 Global Media Consumption report include:
- Internet users in most countries now spend longer online with digital versions of printed press media;
- Watching television is the single biggest media activity accounting for 2.58 hours each day or 23% of total time spent with media;
- The U.S. continues to be the biggest television market globally. While viewers in China typically watch 2.20 hours per day, U.S. viewers watch 4.33 hours per day on average;
- Most television viewers are now using a second screen, with mobiles being the top device;
- Social is the dominant online media activity in every country included in the survey. Nearly two and a half hours each day is spent with social networking and microblogging - 40% of online media time.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...