News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report illustrates traditional vs. digital media consumption
As digital continues to infiltrate consumers' daily lives, wherever in the globe they may be, traditional media is being given the heave-ho as computers and mobiles increasingly account for our news and TV consumption and socializing.
A new study from GlobalWebIndex reveals that few places exist where traditional media still dominates digital - Australia, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland and the U.K.
However, even in these countries, digital is closing the gap.
The average daily time spent with online media, globally, is now just over six hours (6.09), up from just short of six hours (5.55) back in 2012.
As mobile adoption continues to rise, the channel now accounts for 30% of time spent with online media, found London-based GlobalWebIndex. Within fast growing markets, such as Saudi Arabia and Thailand, that figure is bigger at around 40%.
Younger demographics (age16-24) use mobile to consume media far more than other age groups - 2.77 hours per day.
Other key findings from the company's Q3 2014 Global Media Consumption report include:
- Internet users in most countries now spend longer online with digital versions of printed press media;
- Watching television is the single biggest media activity accounting for 2.58 hours each day or 23% of total time spent with media;
- The U.S. continues to be the biggest television market globally. While viewers in China typically watch 2.20 hours per day, U.S. viewers watch 4.33 hours per day on average;
- Most television viewers are now using a second screen, with mobiles being the top device;
- Social is the dominant online media activity in every country included in the survey. Nearly two and a half hours each day is spent with social networking and microblogging - 40% of online media time.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...