News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report illustrates traditional vs. digital media consumption
As digital continues to infiltrate consumers' daily lives, wherever in the globe they may be, traditional media is being given the heave-ho as computers and mobiles increasingly account for our news and TV consumption and socializing.
A new study from GlobalWebIndex reveals that few places exist where traditional media still dominates digital - Australia, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland and the U.K.
However, even in these countries, digital is closing the gap.
The average daily time spent with online media, globally, is now just over six hours (6.09), up from just short of six hours (5.55) back in 2012.
As mobile adoption continues to rise, the channel now accounts for 30% of time spent with online media, found London-based GlobalWebIndex. Within fast growing markets, such as Saudi Arabia and Thailand, that figure is bigger at around 40%.
Younger demographics (age16-24) use mobile to consume media far more than other age groups - 2.77 hours per day.
Other key findings from the company's Q3 2014 Global Media Consumption report include:
- Internet users in most countries now spend longer online with digital versions of printed press media;
- Watching television is the single biggest media activity accounting for 2.58 hours each day or 23% of total time spent with media;
- The U.S. continues to be the biggest television market globally. While viewers in China typically watch 2.20 hours per day, U.S. viewers watch 4.33 hours per day on average;
- Most television viewers are now using a second screen, with mobiles being the top device;
- Social is the dominant online media activity in every country included in the survey. Nearly two and a half hours each day is spent with social networking and microblogging - 40% of online media time.
Image via Shutterstock
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
- Study reveals shopping habits not influenced by Black Friday flash sales
- Study: Shoppers plan to spend more, save more this holiday
- How to respond to bad reviews
- Top tips for a better 2016 IT strategy
- Click-and-collect drives additional in-store sales
- Oxford Dictionaries announces 'word of the year' and it is not a word
- Last-minute shopping on the rise during holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...