News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Potential for spoilers on social media encourages live TV viewing
A study by ratings agency Nielsen reveals that people in the U.S. are increasing using social with television viewing and enjoying television shows more because of it.
Fifteen percent of Americans say they now enjoy watching television more when social media is involved. Today, many people can be found watching television with a mobile phone in hand or a laptop nearby, ready to chat with others about a show during ad breaks or after the show has ended.
Two thirds of tablet users and half of smartphone users said they browsed the Internet while watching live TV, while 41% of tablet owners said shopping or looking up actors and plots were the top second screen activities they engaged in while watching TV, compared with 29% of smartphone owners.
Interestingly, more people said they watched more live TV in 2013 than in 2012 as a direct result of social media, probably due to the amount of spoilers that can be found on social media today due to the plethora of conversations taking place during live TV.
Even among those who aren't second-screening, social drives live TV watching. That's because, found Nielsen, social media drives show awareness. In 2013, 25% of respondents said social media made them aware of a show, up from 18% in the previous year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...