News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Potential for spoilers on social media encourages live TV viewing
A study by ratings agency Nielsen reveals that people in the U.S. are increasing using social with television viewing and enjoying television shows more because of it.
Fifteen percent of Americans say they now enjoy watching television more when social media is involved. Today, many people can be found watching television with a mobile phone in hand or a laptop nearby, ready to chat with others about a show during ad breaks or after the show has ended.
Two thirds of tablet users and half of smartphone users said they browsed the Internet while watching live TV, while 41% of tablet owners said shopping or looking up actors and plots were the top second screen activities they engaged in while watching TV, compared with 29% of smartphone owners.
Interestingly, more people said they watched more live TV in 2013 than in 2012 as a direct result of social media, probably due to the amount of spoilers that can be found on social media today due to the plethora of conversations taking place during live TV.
Even among those who aren't second-screening, social drives live TV watching. That's because, found Nielsen, social media drives show awareness. In 2013, 25% of respondents said social media made them aware of a show, up from 18% in the previous year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases focus on data
- Survey: SMBs report good start to 2016
- Business mail rooms inundated with personal online shopping deliveries
- Study: Micro-businesses need more help
- eRetail, banking and airline ticketing earmarked as hot areas for online fraud
- Poll: SMBs worried over benefits, pay
- Expert: Tips for better small business expansion
- Mobile Roundup: Breaking down app, game installs
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...