News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Potential for spoilers on social media encourages live TV viewing
A study by ratings agency Nielsen reveals that people in the U.S. are increasing using social with television viewing and enjoying television shows more because of it.
Fifteen percent of Americans say they now enjoy watching television more when social media is involved. Today, many people can be found watching television with a mobile phone in hand or a laptop nearby, ready to chat with others about a show during ad breaks or after the show has ended.
Two thirds of tablet users and half of smartphone users said they browsed the Internet while watching live TV, while 41% of tablet owners said shopping or looking up actors and plots were the top second screen activities they engaged in while watching TV, compared with 29% of smartphone owners.
Interestingly, more people said they watched more live TV in 2013 than in 2012 as a direct result of social media, probably due to the amount of spoilers that can be found on social media today due to the plethora of conversations taking place during live TV.
Even among those who aren't second-screening, social drives live TV watching. That's because, found Nielsen, social media drives show awareness. In 2013, 25% of respondents said social media made them aware of a show, up from 18% in the previous year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...