News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Potential for spoilers on social media encourages live TV viewing
A study by ratings agency Nielsen reveals that people in the U.S. are increasing using social with television viewing and enjoying television shows more because of it.
Fifteen percent of Americans say they now enjoy watching television more when social media is involved. Today, many people can be found watching television with a mobile phone in hand or a laptop nearby, ready to chat with others about a show during ad breaks or after the show has ended.
Two thirds of tablet users and half of smartphone users said they browsed the Internet while watching live TV, while 41% of tablet owners said shopping or looking up actors and plots were the top second screen activities they engaged in while watching TV, compared with 29% of smartphone owners.
Interestingly, more people said they watched more live TV in 2013 than in 2012 as a direct result of social media, probably due to the amount of spoilers that can be found on social media today due to the plethora of conversations taking place during live TV.
Even among those who aren't second-screening, social drives live TV watching. That's because, found Nielsen, social media drives show awareness. In 2013, 25% of respondents said social media made them aware of a show, up from 18% in the previous year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...