News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Potential for spoilers on social media encourages live TV viewing
A study by ratings agency Nielsen reveals that people in the U.S. are increasing using social with television viewing and enjoying television shows more because of it.
Fifteen percent of Americans say they now enjoy watching television more when social media is involved. Today, many people can be found watching television with a mobile phone in hand or a laptop nearby, ready to chat with others about a show during ad breaks or after the show has ended.
Two thirds of tablet users and half of smartphone users said they browsed the Internet while watching live TV, while 41% of tablet owners said shopping or looking up actors and plots were the top second screen activities they engaged in while watching TV, compared with 29% of smartphone owners.
Interestingly, more people said they watched more live TV in 2013 than in 2012 as a direct result of social media, probably due to the amount of spoilers that can be found on social media today due to the plethora of conversations taking place during live TV.
Even among those who aren't second-screening, social drives live TV watching. That's because, found Nielsen, social media drives show awareness. In 2013, 25% of respondents said social media made them aware of a show, up from 18% in the previous year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....