News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Poor retail customer service decreasing loyalty
Customers are increasingly frustrated with customer service channels that are not integrated meaning they need to repeat themselves several times before their query is addressed.
It's not surprising that almost a third of UK consumers have become less loyal to retail brands over the last five years. While customer service channels have expanded to include mobile, social and online, few companies are set up to seamlessly integrate them all.
According to customer service specialists KANA Software, almost half (48%) of U.K. consumers had to repeat information when communicating with a retailer. Among customers under the age of 35, 1 in 20 said they had to repeat themselves at least five times.
"By forcing consumers to repeat themselves, often several times over a prolonged period, organizations not only deliver inefficient service that costs them money - they seriously affect future consumer loyalty," says Steven Thurlow, head of worldwide product strategy for KANA Software.
"The need for repetition shows not only poor management of customer data, channels and context, but more fundamentally a lack of ownership of the consumer's problem and lack of appreciation for their effort levels."
KANA Software's survey of 2,000 U.K. consumers found that during the last six months more than 1 in 10 used at least five different customer channels to contact a retailer.
"Without a true sense that different channels of communication are linked, people feel that they are wasting their time and, ultimately, this leads to an erosion of loyalty in the retail brand," said Thurlow.
Image via Shutterstock
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...