News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Poor retail customer service decreasing loyalty
Customers are increasingly frustrated with customer service channels that are not integrated meaning they need to repeat themselves several times before their query is addressed.
It's not surprising that almost a third of UK consumers have become less loyal to retail brands over the last five years. While customer service channels have expanded to include mobile, social and online, few companies are set up to seamlessly integrate them all.
According to customer service specialists KANA Software, almost half (48%) of U.K. consumers had to repeat information when communicating with a retailer. Among customers under the age of 35, 1 in 20 said they had to repeat themselves at least five times.
"By forcing consumers to repeat themselves, often several times over a prolonged period, organizations not only deliver inefficient service that costs them money - they seriously affect future consumer loyalty," says Steven Thurlow, head of worldwide product strategy for KANA Software.
"The need for repetition shows not only poor management of customer data, channels and context, but more fundamentally a lack of ownership of the consumer's problem and lack of appreciation for their effort levels."
KANA Software's survey of 2,000 U.K. consumers found that during the last six months more than 1 in 10 used at least five different customer channels to contact a retailer.
"Without a true sense that different channels of communication are linked, people feel that they are wasting their time and, ultimately, this leads to an erosion of loyalty in the retail brand," said Thurlow.
Image via Shutterstock
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....