News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ONS: Three-quarters of U.K. purchased online in 2014
The Office for National Statistics in the UK has released new data showing that three-quarters of the country's population has made a purchase online during 2014.
The UK and Denmark have the largest percentage of online shoppers in the E.U., according to the Office for National Statistics' latest statistical bulletin. Some 74% of adults (age 16-74) purchased goods or services online in 2014. Back in 2008, that figure was 53%.
Clothing was the most popular purchase (49%) followed by household goods (furniture, toys, etc.) and travel arrangements such as car hire or transport tickets.
Today, 38 million British adults access the Internet every single day - that's 76% of the population - up from 21 million in 2006. And it's not just younger generations that are shopping online. While nine out of 10 youngsters (age 25-34) have shopped online, 40% of those aged 65 and over made an online purchase in 2014, up from just 16% in 2008.
The Office for National Statistics also found the use of Internet banking has risen significantly. More than half (53%) of adults now use Internet banking regularly, up from 30% in 2007. Internet banking is most popular with 25-34 year olds (71%) but the report also found that 47% of 55-64 year olds and 23% of those over age 65 were more likely to use online banking than social networking.
The study also shows the growing importance of mobile. More than two-thirds (68%) of adults have used a smartphone or tablet to go online in 2014, rising to a whopping 96% among those aged between 16 and 24.
Image via Shutterstock
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...