News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ONS: Three-quarters of U.K. purchased online in 2014
The Office for National Statistics in the UK has released new data showing that three-quarters of the country's population has made a purchase online during 2014.
The UK and Denmark have the largest percentage of online shoppers in the E.U., according to the Office for National Statistics' latest statistical bulletin. Some 74% of adults (age 16-74) purchased goods or services online in 2014. Back in 2008, that figure was 53%.
Clothing was the most popular purchase (49%) followed by household goods (furniture, toys, etc.) and travel arrangements such as car hire or transport tickets.
Today, 38 million British adults access the Internet every single day - that's 76% of the population - up from 21 million in 2006. And it's not just younger generations that are shopping online. While nine out of 10 youngsters (age 25-34) have shopped online, 40% of those aged 65 and over made an online purchase in 2014, up from just 16% in 2008.
The Office for National Statistics also found the use of Internet banking has risen significantly. More than half (53%) of adults now use Internet banking regularly, up from 30% in 2007. Internet banking is most popular with 25-34 year olds (71%) but the report also found that 47% of 55-64 year olds and 23% of those over age 65 were more likely to use online banking than social networking.
The study also shows the growing importance of mobile. More than two-thirds (68%) of adults have used a smartphone or tablet to go online in 2014, rising to a whopping 96% among those aged between 16 and 24.
Image via Shutterstock
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
- Platform promises to connect marketers, consumers
- Mobile app shoppers generate more revenue than mobile website and desktop shoppers
- Mums turn to Facebook for recommendations and parenting communities
- Forecast: App economy to surpass $100b by 2020
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...