News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ONS: Three-quarters of U.K. purchased online in 2014
The Office for National Statistics in the UK has released new data showing that three-quarters of the country's population has made a purchase online during 2014.
The UK and Denmark have the largest percentage of online shoppers in the E.U., according to the Office for National Statistics' latest statistical bulletin. Some 74% of adults (age 16-74) purchased goods or services online in 2014. Back in 2008, that figure was 53%.
Clothing was the most popular purchase (49%) followed by household goods (furniture, toys, etc.) and travel arrangements such as car hire or transport tickets.
Today, 38 million British adults access the Internet every single day - that's 76% of the population - up from 21 million in 2006. And it's not just younger generations that are shopping online. While nine out of 10 youngsters (age 25-34) have shopped online, 40% of those aged 65 and over made an online purchase in 2014, up from just 16% in 2008.
The Office for National Statistics also found the use of Internet banking has risen significantly. More than half (53%) of adults now use Internet banking regularly, up from 30% in 2007. Internet banking is most popular with 25-34 year olds (71%) but the report also found that 47% of 55-64 year olds and 23% of those over age 65 were more likely to use online banking than social networking.
The study also shows the growing importance of mobile. More than two-thirds (68%) of adults have used a smartphone or tablet to go online in 2014, rising to a whopping 96% among those aged between 16 and 24.
Image via Shutterstock
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
- Top tips to improve ad performance
Featured White Papers
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...