News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than half of affiliate marketing professionals self-taught
According to new research, a high proportion of affiliate marketing professionals are self-taught, leading to calls for more educational institutions to incorporate this area of marketing into curricula.
In a survey of just over 1,000 marketing professionals in the UK and Northern Ireland, Optimus Performance Marketing found that just under half (47%) of those with affiliate marketing as part of their responsibility had received some relevant tuition at their school, university or workplace before landing the job.
The remaining 53% of affiliate marketers stated they had had no prior training and were self-taught. Many had gained experience and knowledge through having implemented affiliate marketing strategies into personal blogs or websites. Three-quarters (73%) said more needs to be done to include the basics of affiliate marketing in I.T. and marketing education.
When asked which methods they had used to successfully gain knowledge of affiliate marketing the most popular were:
- Internet tutorials (42%)
- E-books (28%)
- Blogs (19%)
- Video tutorials (8%)
- Books (4%)
"When you work in a relatively new and ever-evolving industry, such as affiliate or performance marketing, it can be very easy to forget that the majority of people who don't work directly within the industry are still extremely unsure about what it is we do," said Mark Russell, managing director at Optimus Performance Marketing. "This doesn't bode particularly well for those working in the industry when trying to scout the next generation of marketers for recruitment."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...