News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than half of affiliate marketing professionals self-taught
According to new research, a high proportion of affiliate marketing professionals are self-taught, leading to calls for more educational institutions to incorporate this area of marketing into curricula.
In a survey of just over 1,000 marketing professionals in the UK and Northern Ireland, Optimus Performance Marketing found that just under half (47%) of those with affiliate marketing as part of their responsibility had received some relevant tuition at their school, university or workplace before landing the job.
The remaining 53% of affiliate marketers stated they had had no prior training and were self-taught. Many had gained experience and knowledge through having implemented affiliate marketing strategies into personal blogs or websites. Three-quarters (73%) said more needs to be done to include the basics of affiliate marketing in I.T. and marketing education.
When asked which methods they had used to successfully gain knowledge of affiliate marketing the most popular were:
- Internet tutorials (42%)
- E-books (28%)
- Blogs (19%)
- Video tutorials (8%)
- Books (4%)
"When you work in a relatively new and ever-evolving industry, such as affiliate or performance marketing, it can be very easy to forget that the majority of people who don't work directly within the industry are still extremely unsure about what it is we do," said Mark Russell, managing director at Optimus Performance Marketing. "This doesn't bode particularly well for those working in the industry when trying to scout the next generation of marketers for recruitment."
Image via Shutterstock
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...