News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than half of affiliate marketing professionals self-taught
According to new research, a high proportion of affiliate marketing professionals are self-taught, leading to calls for more educational institutions to incorporate this area of marketing into curricula.
In a survey of just over 1,000 marketing professionals in the UK and Northern Ireland, Optimus Performance Marketing found that just under half (47%) of those with affiliate marketing as part of their responsibility had received some relevant tuition at their school, university or workplace before landing the job.
The remaining 53% of affiliate marketers stated they had had no prior training and were self-taught. Many had gained experience and knowledge through having implemented affiliate marketing strategies into personal blogs or websites. Three-quarters (73%) said more needs to be done to include the basics of affiliate marketing in I.T. and marketing education.
When asked which methods they had used to successfully gain knowledge of affiliate marketing the most popular were:
- Internet tutorials (42%)
- E-books (28%)
- Blogs (19%)
- Video tutorials (8%)
- Books (4%)
"When you work in a relatively new and ever-evolving industry, such as affiliate or performance marketing, it can be very easy to forget that the majority of people who don't work directly within the industry are still extremely unsure about what it is we do," said Mark Russell, managing director at Optimus Performance Marketing. "This doesn't bode particularly well for those working in the industry when trying to scout the next generation of marketers for recruitment."
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...