News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than half of affiliate marketing professionals self-taught
According to new research, a high proportion of affiliate marketing professionals are self-taught, leading to calls for more educational institutions to incorporate this area of marketing into curricula.
In a survey of just over 1,000 marketing professionals in the UK and Northern Ireland, Optimus Performance Marketing found that just under half (47%) of those with affiliate marketing as part of their responsibility had received some relevant tuition at their school, university or workplace before landing the job.
The remaining 53% of affiliate marketers stated they had had no prior training and were self-taught. Many had gained experience and knowledge through having implemented affiliate marketing strategies into personal blogs or websites. Three-quarters (73%) said more needs to be done to include the basics of affiliate marketing in I.T. and marketing education.
When asked which methods they had used to successfully gain knowledge of affiliate marketing the most popular were:
- Internet tutorials (42%)
- E-books (28%)
- Blogs (19%)
- Video tutorials (8%)
- Books (4%)
"When you work in a relatively new and ever-evolving industry, such as affiliate or performance marketing, it can be very easy to forget that the majority of people who don't work directly within the industry are still extremely unsure about what it is we do," said Mark Russell, managing director at Optimus Performance Marketing. "This doesn't bode particularly well for those working in the industry when trying to scout the next generation of marketers for recruitment."
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....