News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than half of affiliate marketing professionals self-taught
According to new research, a high proportion of affiliate marketing professionals are self-taught, leading to calls for more educational institutions to incorporate this area of marketing into curricula.
In a survey of just over 1,000 marketing professionals in the UK and Northern Ireland, Optimus Performance Marketing found that just under half (47%) of those with affiliate marketing as part of their responsibility had received some relevant tuition at their school, university or workplace before landing the job.
The remaining 53% of affiliate marketers stated they had had no prior training and were self-taught. Many had gained experience and knowledge through having implemented affiliate marketing strategies into personal blogs or websites. Three-quarters (73%) said more needs to be done to include the basics of affiliate marketing in I.T. and marketing education.
When asked which methods they had used to successfully gain knowledge of affiliate marketing the most popular were:
- Internet tutorials (42%)
- E-books (28%)
- Blogs (19%)
- Video tutorials (8%)
- Books (4%)
"When you work in a relatively new and ever-evolving industry, such as affiliate or performance marketing, it can be very easy to forget that the majority of people who don't work directly within the industry are still extremely unsure about what it is we do," said Mark Russell, managing director at Optimus Performance Marketing. "This doesn't bode particularly well for those working in the industry when trying to scout the next generation of marketers for recruitment."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Safety key to wearables future
- Study: Half of shoppers look for 'https' or other security symbols online
- Cash, and wallets, soon to be things of the past?
- Expert: How Siri, Echo are changing content needs
- Costumes are big business again this Halloween
- Mobile to play increasing role in holiday season shopping
- Nielsen research reveals countries least likely to embrace mobile-only banking
- Mobile use in restaurants - tolerable or taboo?
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....