News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile, not social, is the channel Millennials use to shop for cars
A recent study from AutoTrader.com finds that social media is not driving car purchases, with just 1% using such sites to buy a vehicle. Mobile, on the other hand, is becoming a significant car-buying channel, particularly among Millennials.
The AutoTrader.com 2014 Automotive Buyer Influence Study does not make good reading for those in the auto industry using social media to help sell vehicles. It found that just 1% of those seeking to buy a new vehicle use social sites in their search.
Even younger buyers, Millennials, are not turning to the likes of Facebook or Twitter for car shopping. Just 5% do so. Furthermore, a car brand having a social media presence wouldn't change a Millennial's attitude towards the brand. More than three quarters of Millennials (78%) said that a car brand having a social media presence didn't matter to them.
"Millennials are apathetic about whether auto Web sites or brands have a social presence," said Isabelle Helms, vice president of research and market intelligence for AutoTrader.com.
While the Internet is still the primary place consumers, including Millennials, go to search for a new car, AutoTrader.com's research found increases in smartphone use - up 9 percentage points from 2013 to 2014. The most significant increase in mobile use was among Millennials. In 2013, 34% of Millennials used a smartphone to shop for a car but this has risen to 50% in 2014.
"As dealers and OEMs look to capture the attention of Millennials in 2014 and beyond, the importance of mobile cannot be emphasized enough," said Helms. "Automotive advertisers who don't start putting mobile first could be at risk of coming in last."
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...