News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile, not social, is the channel Millennials use to shop for cars
A recent study from AutoTrader.com finds that social media is not driving car purchases, with just 1% using such sites to buy a vehicle. Mobile, on the other hand, is becoming a significant car-buying channel, particularly among Millennials.
The AutoTrader.com 2014 Automotive Buyer Influence Study does not make good reading for those in the auto industry using social media to help sell vehicles. It found that just 1% of those seeking to buy a new vehicle use social sites in their search.
Even younger buyers, Millennials, are not turning to the likes of Facebook or Twitter for car shopping. Just 5% do so. Furthermore, a car brand having a social media presence wouldn't change a Millennial's attitude towards the brand. More than three quarters of Millennials (78%) said that a car brand having a social media presence didn't matter to them.
"Millennials are apathetic about whether auto Web sites or brands have a social presence," said Isabelle Helms, vice president of research and market intelligence for AutoTrader.com.
While the Internet is still the primary place consumers, including Millennials, go to search for a new car, AutoTrader.com's research found increases in smartphone use - up 9 percentage points from 2013 to 2014. The most significant increase in mobile use was among Millennials. In 2013, 34% of Millennials used a smartphone to shop for a car but this has risen to 50% in 2014.
"As dealers and OEMs look to capture the attention of Millennials in 2014 and beyond, the importance of mobile cannot be emphasized enough," said Helms. "Automotive advertisers who don't start putting mobile first could be at risk of coming in last."
Image via Shutterstock
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...