News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile, not social, is the channel Millennials use to shop for cars
A recent study from AutoTrader.com finds that social media is not driving car purchases, with just 1% using such sites to buy a vehicle. Mobile, on the other hand, is becoming a significant car-buying channel, particularly among Millennials.
The AutoTrader.com 2014 Automotive Buyer Influence Study does not make good reading for those in the auto industry using social media to help sell vehicles. It found that just 1% of those seeking to buy a new vehicle use social sites in their search.
Even younger buyers, Millennials, are not turning to the likes of Facebook or Twitter for car shopping. Just 5% do so. Furthermore, a car brand having a social media presence wouldn't change a Millennial's attitude towards the brand. More than three quarters of Millennials (78%) said that a car brand having a social media presence didn't matter to them.
"Millennials are apathetic about whether auto Web sites or brands have a social presence," said Isabelle Helms, vice president of research and market intelligence for AutoTrader.com.
While the Internet is still the primary place consumers, including Millennials, go to search for a new car, AutoTrader.com's research found increases in smartphone use - up 9 percentage points from 2013 to 2014. The most significant increase in mobile use was among Millennials. In 2013, 34% of Millennials used a smartphone to shop for a car but this has risen to 50% in 2014.
"As dealers and OEMs look to capture the attention of Millennials in 2014 and beyond, the importance of mobile cannot be emphasized enough," said Helms. "Automotive advertisers who don't start putting mobile first could be at risk of coming in last."
Image via Shutterstock
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...