News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile investment paying off for multichannel retailers
Multichannel retailers are enjoying stronger growth in mobile sales than their pureplay counterparts, according to new research by internet retail trade body IMRG and consultancy Capgemini.
Multichannel retailers saw 79% YoY growth via mobile (smartphones and tablets) during the first half of 2014. However, pureplays fared less well with just 59% growth via mobile.
Furthermore, multichannel retailers saw a significant rise in mobile conversion rates - up 33% - in the first half of 2014 while pureplays saw theirs drop slightly.
However, mobile shoppers spent more with pureplays at £82 (US$138) per transaction - an 8% rise in the first half of this year - versus £80 (US$135) for retailers (5% rise) that have a website and a physical store.
"We saw earlier this year that a third of online retail sales are now made on a mobile device and the figure is only set to rise as the technology becomes increasingly more sophisticated," said Alex Smith-Bingham, Capgemini vice president and digital services leader.
"It would appear that the multichannel retailers, which have been investing in their mobile platforms, have a larger opportunity than their pureplay counterparts as mobile is not only an additional sales channel but can also drive greater engagement and sales in-store."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecommerce Roundup: As digital increases, so does fraud
- Survey: Health Lifestyle grabs consumer interest
- Alibaba forms alliance with big brands to fight counterfeiting
- Expert: What marketers need to know about RegTech
- Mobile 'click injection' fraud forecast to become prevalent in 2017
- Less than half of consumers satisfied with retail app experience
- Study: Order struggles a problem for B2B
- Ad Roundup: Solution expansions, investments
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...