News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile investment paying off for multichannel retailers
Multichannel retailers are enjoying stronger growth in mobile sales than their pureplay counterparts, according to new research by internet retail trade body IMRG and consultancy Capgemini.
Multichannel retailers saw 79% YoY growth via mobile (smartphones and tablets) during the first half of 2014. However, pureplays fared less well with just 59% growth via mobile.
Furthermore, multichannel retailers saw a significant rise in mobile conversion rates - up 33% - in the first half of 2014 while pureplays saw theirs drop slightly.
However, mobile shoppers spent more with pureplays at £82 (US$138) per transaction - an 8% rise in the first half of this year - versus £80 (US$135) for retailers (5% rise) that have a website and a physical store.
"We saw earlier this year that a third of online retail sales are now made on a mobile device and the figure is only set to rise as the technology becomes increasingly more sophisticated," said Alex Smith-Bingham, Capgemini vice president and digital services leader.
"It would appear that the multichannel retailers, which have been investing in their mobile platforms, have a larger opportunity than their pureplay counterparts as mobile is not only an additional sales channel but can also drive greater engagement and sales in-store."
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...