News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile investment paying off for multichannel retailers
Multichannel retailers are enjoying stronger growth in mobile sales than their pureplay counterparts, according to new research by internet retail trade body IMRG and consultancy Capgemini.
Multichannel retailers saw 79% YoY growth via mobile (smartphones and tablets) during the first half of 2014. However, pureplays fared less well with just 59% growth via mobile.
Furthermore, multichannel retailers saw a significant rise in mobile conversion rates - up 33% - in the first half of 2014 while pureplays saw theirs drop slightly.
However, mobile shoppers spent more with pureplays at £82 (US$138) per transaction - an 8% rise in the first half of this year - versus £80 (US$135) for retailers (5% rise) that have a website and a physical store.
"We saw earlier this year that a third of online retail sales are now made on a mobile device and the figure is only set to rise as the technology becomes increasingly more sophisticated," said Alex Smith-Bingham, Capgemini vice president and digital services leader.
"It would appear that the multichannel retailers, which have been investing in their mobile platforms, have a larger opportunity than their pureplay counterparts as mobile is not only an additional sales channel but can also drive greater engagement and sales in-store."
Image via Shutterstock
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
- Adobe: $27billion spent so far, 46% mobile traffic
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
- Study reveals shopping habits not influenced by Black Friday flash sales
- Study: Shoppers plan to spend more, save more this holiday
- How to respond to bad reviews
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...