News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile email orders up but revenue down
Poor user experience could be what is to blame for a drop in revenue from mobile email orders despite consumers making a lot more purchases from email opened on a mobile device.
Yesmail's latest email benchmark study is an analysis of mobile email data from the second quarter of 2013 to the second quarter of this year.
The research found that mobile email orders have risen significantly - up 40% since 2013 and now accounting for 22% of all orders.
That's the good news.
The bad news is that revenue from mobile emails hasn't kept up. By the end of Q2 2014 revenue had risen just 10%, accounting for 16% of all revenue. Conversion rates on mobile were found to be two-thirds of desktop - 1.8% versus 2.7%.
Shorter attention spans among mobile users, coupled with varied screen sizes may be the cause of revenues not keeping pace with orders. However, according to Yesmail Lifecycle Marketing president Michael Fisher, poor user experience could be the culprit.
"The lag in mobile revenue can be attributed to a non-optimized user experience, which will most likely mean lost revenue for brands this holiday season," claimed Fisher.
Another reason for revenue not keeping up is likely due to the drop in average order value. Since 2013 there has been a 30% decrease in average mobile order values from $79 to $55. Meanwhile, average order value for purchases from emails opened on a desktop has dropped far less from $88 to $83.
Image via Shutterstock
- Global online travel market to exceed $1billion by 2022
- UK shoppers choose supermarkets primarily on location, not price
- Ecommerce Roundup: As digital increases, so does fraud
- Survey: Health Lifestyle grabs consumer interest
- Alibaba forms alliance with big brands to fight counterfeiting
- Expert: What marketers need to know about RegTech
- Mobile 'click injection' fraud forecast to become prevalent in 2017
- DMA: Email click-through rates continue to fall
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...