News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile email orders up but revenue down
Poor user experience could be what is to blame for a drop in revenue from mobile email orders despite consumers making a lot more purchases from email opened on a mobile device.
Yesmail's latest email benchmark study is an analysis of mobile email data from the second quarter of 2013 to the second quarter of this year.
The research found that mobile email orders have risen significantly - up 40% since 2013 and now accounting for 22% of all orders.
That's the good news.
The bad news is that revenue from mobile emails hasn't kept up. By the end of Q2 2014 revenue had risen just 10%, accounting for 16% of all revenue. Conversion rates on mobile were found to be two-thirds of desktop - 1.8% versus 2.7%.
Shorter attention spans among mobile users, coupled with varied screen sizes may be the cause of revenues not keeping pace with orders. However, according to Yesmail Lifecycle Marketing president Michael Fisher, poor user experience could be the culprit.
"The lag in mobile revenue can be attributed to a non-optimized user experience, which will most likely mean lost revenue for brands this holiday season," claimed Fisher.
Another reason for revenue not keeping up is likely due to the drop in average order value. Since 2013 there has been a 30% decrease in average mobile order values from $79 to $55. Meanwhile, average order value for purchases from emails opened on a desktop has dropped far less from $88 to $83.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...