News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile email orders up but revenue down
Poor user experience could be what is to blame for a drop in revenue from mobile email orders despite consumers making a lot more purchases from email opened on a mobile device.
Yesmail's latest email benchmark study is an analysis of mobile email data from the second quarter of 2013 to the second quarter of this year.
The research found that mobile email orders have risen significantly - up 40% since 2013 and now accounting for 22% of all orders.
That's the good news.
The bad news is that revenue from mobile emails hasn't kept up. By the end of Q2 2014 revenue had risen just 10%, accounting for 16% of all revenue. Conversion rates on mobile were found to be two-thirds of desktop - 1.8% versus 2.7%.
Shorter attention spans among mobile users, coupled with varied screen sizes may be the cause of revenues not keeping pace with orders. However, according to Yesmail Lifecycle Marketing president Michael Fisher, poor user experience could be the culprit.
"The lag in mobile revenue can be attributed to a non-optimized user experience, which will most likely mean lost revenue for brands this holiday season," claimed Fisher.
Another reason for revenue not keeping up is likely due to the drop in average order value. Since 2013 there has been a 30% decrease in average mobile order values from $79 to $55. Meanwhile, average order value for purchases from emails opened on a desktop has dropped far less from $88 to $83.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey IDs best cities for small businesses
- Expert IDs trends to watch in mobile video
- Researchers developing a super-adblocker
- Expert: How retailers can improve tentpole events
- With rise of connected Gen Y, retailers must be fit for the future
- Gaming video content audiences exceed those of HBO and ESPN
- Apple Pay adoption and use continues to wane
- Study: Mobile becoming a loyalty draw
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...