News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Intent HQ: Consumers want brands to be honest and transparent about data collection
Being open and honest are important aspects of a personal relationship, and that goes for the relationship between a brand and consumers, too. A new infographic from Intent HQ provides insight into the hows and whys of honesty versus cookies.
Online advertising personalized through data from cookies isn't going down well with consumers. Almost 9 out of 10 respondents to a survey by Intent HQ said they don't like it.
"They tend to ignore the ads, find them irritating or as though they are intruding on their privacy," according to Jonathan Lakin, CEO of Intent HQ.
Instead, more than three-quarters (79%) are more likely to respect a brand that is honest about data collection and gathers it in a more "straightforward and transparent" manner such as permission-based social login.
Furthermore, more than half (59%) of respondents felt that such a transaction was a "fair deal" and most (71%) were prepared to give at least some basic login data such as name and email address. In return, people are presented with advertising that better matches their interests, more relevant offers and, as a consequence, click-through rates improve.
"It's another sign that internet and social media users are beginning to understand the 'value exchange'," writes Lakin, "the unspoken agreement that if consumers give certain personal details, they will receive advertising and content of more relevance and value to them as individuals."
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...