News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Intent HQ: Consumers want brands to be honest and transparent about data collection
Being open and honest are important aspects of a personal relationship, and that goes for the relationship between a brand and consumers, too. A new infographic from Intent HQ provides insight into the hows and whys of honesty versus cookies.
Online advertising personalized through data from cookies isn't going down well with consumers. Almost 9 out of 10 respondents to a survey by Intent HQ said they don't like it.
"They tend to ignore the ads, find them irritating or as though they are intruding on their privacy," according to Jonathan Lakin, CEO of Intent HQ.
Instead, more than three-quarters (79%) are more likely to respect a brand that is honest about data collection and gathers it in a more "straightforward and transparent" manner such as permission-based social login.
Furthermore, more than half (59%) of respondents felt that such a transaction was a "fair deal" and most (71%) were prepared to give at least some basic login data such as name and email address. In return, people are presented with advertising that better matches their interests, more relevant offers and, as a consequence, click-through rates improve.
"It's another sign that internet and social media users are beginning to understand the 'value exchange'," writes Lakin, "the unspoken agreement that if consumers give certain personal details, they will receive advertising and content of more relevance and value to them as individuals."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...