News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Hi-tech, beacon-driven dummies enter British stores
Hi-tech dummies are gracing the floors and windows of some of the UK's high-end stores. Using beacon technology these mannequins can transmit information about what they're wearing to shoppers' smartphones.
Mannequins have started to communicate with shoppers. Using beacons concealed about their person, the mannequins are programmed with information by the retailer and that information is then transmitted to shop browsers with enabled smartphones as they pass by.
Details can include the clothes the mannequin is wearing, its accessories and even prices. Links to purchase items direct from the retailer's website can also be transmitted, or an item's location within the store.
Shoppers can also share the information via social, access rewards and offers and save the mannequin's outfit to view at a later date.
"A recent Google report revealed that 84% of smartphone shoppers use their devices to help them browse while in a store. The technology we have developed aims to tap into this trend and offers real value to both retailers and consumers." said Jonathan Berlin, co-founder of Iconeme.
"The Internet of Things and beacon technology has been gaining momentum over the last few years but we are yet to see its practical and widespread use in retail outlets. Installing this technology in mannequins ensures it occupies a prime location and an ideal focus-point for shoppers, whether they are in the store itself or just passing by the window," he added.
Stores using the technology include Bentalls in Kingston Upon Thames, Jaeger and Hawes & Curtis in London and House of Fraser in Aberdeen.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...