News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Hi-tech, beacon-driven dummies enter British stores
Hi-tech dummies are gracing the floors and windows of some of the UK's high-end stores. Using beacon technology these mannequins can transmit information about what they're wearing to shoppers' smartphones.
Mannequins have started to communicate with shoppers. Using beacons concealed about their person, the mannequins are programmed with information by the retailer and that information is then transmitted to shop browsers with enabled smartphones as they pass by.
Details can include the clothes the mannequin is wearing, its accessories and even prices. Links to purchase items direct from the retailer's website can also be transmitted, or an item's location within the store.
Shoppers can also share the information via social, access rewards and offers and save the mannequin's outfit to view at a later date.
"A recent Google report revealed that 84% of smartphone shoppers use their devices to help them browse while in a store. The technology we have developed aims to tap into this trend and offers real value to both retailers and consumers." said Jonathan Berlin, co-founder of Iconeme.
"The Internet of Things and beacon technology has been gaining momentum over the last few years but we are yet to see its practical and widespread use in retail outlets. Installing this technology in mannequins ensures it occupies a prime location and an ideal focus-point for shoppers, whether they are in the store itself or just passing by the window," he added.
Stores using the technology include Bentalls in Kingston Upon Thames, Jaeger and Hawes & Curtis in London and House of Fraser in Aberdeen.
Image via Shutterstock
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...