News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google using HTTPS as a ranking signal
Google is flexing its search engine muscle in an effort to encourage websites to be more secure. Search algorithms have been tweaked to give sites using HTTPS a higher search ranking.
In a recent blog post, Google trends analysts Zineb Ait Bahajji and Gary Illyes outlined what the search engine is doing to ensure a safer Internet. Following a few months of testing, and positive results, the search engine will now begin using HTTPS as a ranking signal.
"For now it's only a very lightweight signal - affecting fewer than 1% of global queries, and carrying less weight than other signals such as high-quality content -while we give webmasters time to switch to HTTPS," wrote the analysts in a blog post. "But over time, we may decide to strengthen it, because we'd like to encourage all website owners to switch from HTTP to HTTPS to keep everyone safe on the web."
Encryption is used to digitally scramble data as it moves between a user's device and an online service. This prevents others, such as hackers, from eavesdropping on the information. HTTPS also makes it harder for data transmitted over unsecure Wi-Fi networks, in homes and in airports and stores, to be hijacked. Sites that use HTTPS (the 'S' stand for 'secure') usually display a padlock in the address bar.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...