News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google using HTTPS as a ranking signal
Google is flexing its search engine muscle in an effort to encourage websites to be more secure. Search algorithms have been tweaked to give sites using HTTPS a higher search ranking.
In a recent blog post, Google trends analysts Zineb Ait Bahajji and Gary Illyes outlined what the search engine is doing to ensure a safer Internet. Following a few months of testing, and positive results, the search engine will now begin using HTTPS as a ranking signal.
"For now it's only a very lightweight signal - affecting fewer than 1% of global queries, and carrying less weight than other signals such as high-quality content -while we give webmasters time to switch to HTTPS," wrote the analysts in a blog post. "But over time, we may decide to strengthen it, because we'd like to encourage all website owners to switch from HTTP to HTTPS to keep everyone safe on the web."
Encryption is used to digitally scramble data as it moves between a user's device and an online service. This prevents others, such as hackers, from eavesdropping on the information. HTTPS also makes it harder for data transmitted over unsecure Wi-Fi networks, in homes and in airports and stores, to be hijacked. Sites that use HTTPS (the 'S' stand for 'secure') usually display a padlock in the address bar.
Image via Shutterstock
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...