News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google using HTTPS as a ranking signal
Google is flexing its search engine muscle in an effort to encourage websites to be more secure. Search algorithms have been tweaked to give sites using HTTPS a higher search ranking.
In a recent blog post, Google trends analysts Zineb Ait Bahajji and Gary Illyes outlined what the search engine is doing to ensure a safer Internet. Following a few months of testing, and positive results, the search engine will now begin using HTTPS as a ranking signal.
"For now it's only a very lightweight signal - affecting fewer than 1% of global queries, and carrying less weight than other signals such as high-quality content -while we give webmasters time to switch to HTTPS," wrote the analysts in a blog post. "But over time, we may decide to strengthen it, because we'd like to encourage all website owners to switch from HTTP to HTTPS to keep everyone safe on the web."
Encryption is used to digitally scramble data as it moves between a user's device and an online service. This prevents others, such as hackers, from eavesdropping on the information. HTTPS also makes it harder for data transmitted over unsecure Wi-Fi networks, in homes and in airports and stores, to be hijacked. Sites that use HTTPS (the 'S' stand for 'secure') usually display a padlock in the address bar.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...