News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook aiming to make 'clickbait' headlines history
Facebook has this week begun weeding out posts that use headlines to encourage users to click through to see content without providing information on the type of content the click leads to.
Vague posts that ask Facebook users to click on a link without providing the link URL or information on what the link is about will begin to decrease in users' Newfeeds as of this week.
Facebook will now use a couple of methods to determine whether a post is 'clickbait' or not.
1. Looking at how long a user spends reading the linked article away from Facebook. Articles will be deemed valuable if users spend time away from Facebook reading it, but if users click on a link and immediately return this will signal that the content was not something they were interested in.
2. Comparing the number of link clicks to the number of Likes and comments to determine the value of the linked content.
Another update will see Facebook prioritizing showing links that are in the link-format versus those links shared in captions or the status update. This has come about due to a finding that "people often prefer to click on links that are displayed in the link format (which appears when you paste a link while drafting a post), rather than links that are buried in photo captions", says Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Desktops still lead online spending
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...