News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook aiming to make 'clickbait' headlines history
Facebook has this week begun weeding out posts that use headlines to encourage users to click through to see content without providing information on the type of content the click leads to.
Vague posts that ask Facebook users to click on a link without providing the link URL or information on what the link is about will begin to decrease in users' Newfeeds as of this week.
Facebook will now use a couple of methods to determine whether a post is 'clickbait' or not.
1. Looking at how long a user spends reading the linked article away from Facebook. Articles will be deemed valuable if users spend time away from Facebook reading it, but if users click on a link and immediately return this will signal that the content was not something they were interested in.
2. Comparing the number of link clicks to the number of Likes and comments to determine the value of the linked content.
Another update will see Facebook prioritizing showing links that are in the link-format versus those links shared in captions or the status update. This has come about due to a finding that "people often prefer to click on links that are displayed in the link format (which appears when you paste a link while drafting a post), rather than links that are buried in photo captions", says Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...