News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook aiming to make 'clickbait' headlines history
Facebook has this week begun weeding out posts that use headlines to encourage users to click through to see content without providing information on the type of content the click leads to.
Vague posts that ask Facebook users to click on a link without providing the link URL or information on what the link is about will begin to decrease in users' Newfeeds as of this week.
Facebook will now use a couple of methods to determine whether a post is 'clickbait' or not.
1. Looking at how long a user spends reading the linked article away from Facebook. Articles will be deemed valuable if users spend time away from Facebook reading it, but if users click on a link and immediately return this will signal that the content was not something they were interested in.
2. Comparing the number of link clicks to the number of Likes and comments to determine the value of the linked content.
Another update will see Facebook prioritizing showing links that are in the link-format versus those links shared in captions or the status update. This has come about due to a finding that "people often prefer to click on links that are displayed in the link format (which appears when you paste a link while drafting a post), rather than links that are buried in photo captions", says Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....