News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook aiming to make 'clickbait' headlines history
Facebook has this week begun weeding out posts that use headlines to encourage users to click through to see content without providing information on the type of content the click leads to.
Vague posts that ask Facebook users to click on a link without providing the link URL or information on what the link is about will begin to decrease in users' Newfeeds as of this week.
Facebook will now use a couple of methods to determine whether a post is 'clickbait' or not.
1. Looking at how long a user spends reading the linked article away from Facebook. Articles will be deemed valuable if users spend time away from Facebook reading it, but if users click on a link and immediately return this will signal that the content was not something they were interested in.
2. Comparing the number of link clicks to the number of Likes and comments to determine the value of the linked content.
Another update will see Facebook prioritizing showing links that are in the link-format versus those links shared in captions or the status update. This has come about due to a finding that "people often prefer to click on links that are displayed in the link format (which appears when you paste a link while drafting a post), rather than links that are buried in photo captions", says Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...