News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook aiming to make 'clickbait' headlines history
Facebook has this week begun weeding out posts that use headlines to encourage users to click through to see content without providing information on the type of content the click leads to.
Vague posts that ask Facebook users to click on a link without providing the link URL or information on what the link is about will begin to decrease in users' Newfeeds as of this week.
Facebook will now use a couple of methods to determine whether a post is 'clickbait' or not.
1. Looking at how long a user spends reading the linked article away from Facebook. Articles will be deemed valuable if users spend time away from Facebook reading it, but if users click on a link and immediately return this will signal that the content was not something they were interested in.
2. Comparing the number of link clicks to the number of Likes and comments to determine the value of the linked content.
Another update will see Facebook prioritizing showing links that are in the link-format versus those links shared in captions or the status update. This has come about due to a finding that "people often prefer to click on links that are displayed in the link format (which appears when you paste a link while drafting a post), rather than links that are buried in photo captions", says Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- Big brands' ads found playing before ISIS YouTube videos
- Image-based social networks up their ad game
- Few help desk systems are cloud-based
- Survey: Phablets fastest growing mobile device
- Brands: How content should change your mobile strategy
- In-store sales down for Valentines finds report
- Top 3 tips for non-profits to succeed in digital
- Ad RoundUp: Partnerships increase ad support across channels
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...