News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Expert Opinion: Why brands need a niche
Video, social, email, direct mail. The advertising avenues open for businesses today are massive, and there are rules that go along with each channel. One expert offers his advice on how to get the most from these channels.
Kristina: How can marketers better use social media?
Mark Satterfield, CEO and Founder, Gentle Rain Marketing, and author of The One Week Marketing Plan: Posting on social media sites for the sake of posting is a waste of time. Instead of focusing your efforts on low-probability events - such as winning a client through a tweet - use social media as a lead-generation tool to drive people to your blog posts. Come up with several different hooks for each blog you post to grab people's attention.
Kristina: There is an on-going debate over email versus direct mail. Care to weigh in?
Mark: Direct mail may sound old-school, but it is still a highly effective workhorse. As email increasingly becomes the communication vehicle of choice, there's less snail mail than ever - meaning a mailed sales letter can truly stand out. Moreover, there's more engagement with physical mail than with email. And, by buying the right mailing lists, you can pinpoint your target audience with laser-like precision.
Kristina: What about video? Is it an important part of an overall strategy?
Mark: Study after study shows that video is more effective in terms of SEO, lead generation, attracting prospects to your website, keeping them engaged while they are there, and ultimately converting them into customers. Moreover, since YouTube is now the second most searched site after Google, video takes on increased importance. Your first foray into video marketing should focus on motivating viewers to opt in for your free offer and join your list of subscribers.
Image via Shutterstock
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
- Reports: Mobile data traffic, video trending high
- Survey finds increased interest in online car buying
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...